21

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE || STRANGERS

—————————————————————————

"No tracks, No nothin'" Daryl scoffed catching up with Alex and Rick, She shook her head as she looked between the two young boys ahead of her worry flooding her system as her eyes flickered back to Daryl, hoping it was nothing. there could only be so many things that could go wrong, they needed a break, they deserved a rest.

"If someone was watching us last night there would've been tracks" Rick stated as the three walked together, Daryl grunted in agreement. Alex's eyes flickered around the group, they had so much to lose. finally being together. fear consumed her, they couldn't lose anyone else. 

"not necessarily.." Alex reminded, She knew whoever this was watching them... if anyone. And they had malicious intent, They could cover their tracks easily. She'd done it, Sometimes she wished she didn't know the things she did. sometimes she wished she could be naive. because knowing was often the worst thing of all. 

"Just keep your eyes open," Rick ordered. Both Alex and Daryl nodded before breaking off from Rick, Rick's grip on his gun tightened as an unease consumed the three aware of the situation. The pain in Alex's back only seemed to grow with each step, she rubbed the base of her back in an attempt to ease the pain as she approached Glenn, Sam and Eli.

"you boys Alright?"Alex smiled taking hold of Glenn's hand, As she joined them the topic of conversation seemed to change instantly as the three men looked at her a dim look of panic etched onto their features they immediately stopped talking when she joined them causing her to raise a brow

"what's going on?" she questioned raising a brow at how the demeanour changed so quickly, Glenn gently squeezed her hand as he looked toward Eli knowing she could see through his lies too quickly. he was aware of how bad of a liar he was, Eli seemed to understand the panicked look Glenn gave him and spoke up.

"nothing just talking about boy shit, nothing your innocent ears should be hearing" Eli deflected, a sarcastic laugh leaving Alex's lips as she glared at her best friend, unsure of whether or not to believe him her glance flickered to Sam.

"we're just talking about stuff that happens to guys not very respectable if we talk about it in front of a woman" Sam tried defending Eli's excuse, making Alex raise an eyebrow. as if they were really complaining about being guys, and not having the chance to relieve themselves.

"try bleeding out for days every month" Alex rolled her eyes, Typical men thinking they have it so hard. Alex looked up at Glenn, The boy's eyes still avoiding hers filling her with uncertainty as she squeezed his hand again

"there's bigger things you three should be worried about that don't involve getting your dicks wet" her words incited a chuckle from Sam as Glenn's eyes widened in shock at her words memories of their time together at the prison clouding his thoughts as a blush spread across his face.

Glenn's embarrassment began to fade as The group walked Rick tried to keep everyone close together no one falling too far away from the group, Alex, Glenn, Sam, and Eli walked together as Josh joined them followed by Maggie.

 as Maggie joined the group, she and Eli locked eyes sending each other a smile as Maggie nervously tucked a strand of her behind her ear blushing under his gaze which didn't go unnoticed. a small smile tugged at Alex's lips as she watched the interaction between her best friend and Maggie before her eyes shifted to Glenn. 

"You think we'll Find somewhere?" Josh asked looking up at Glenn and Alex, The couple looked down at the boy. The look on Glenn's face one of hope as Josh stared up at him a slight worry still rushing through his veins as he thought of the possibility of them leaving him.