33

CHAPTER THIRTY THREE || CROSSED

(there's a bit of a time jump in this one but that's just because I'm following the tv show)

---------------------------------

"screwdriver. Philips head" Tara pondered aloud as she pulled supplies from a backpack she'd taken from a walker, Alex leaned against a tree as she secured the final buckle of a holster against her thigh. a small smile tugging at her lips proud of herself for finding a thigh holster. Pulling her pistol from its place tucked into her waistband she secured it in the holster for easy access.  

A childish happiness lingered within Alex at the find, her eyes lingering on the holster she couldn't wait to show Carl. Two cousins with matching holsters she knew he'd find it pretty cool. or at least she hoped.  a small hole forming in her heart as she thought back to who she'd left behind. she missed them. She missed her family. 

"You think Daryl knows how to use a proper bow and arrow?" the random question made her brows furrow as Alex turned her head toward the familiar freckled man next to her, Sam. Glenn's happy chuckle filled her ears from across the lake as he and Rosita attempted to catch some fish. 

"that's- that's so random Sam" Alex shook her head, the slight smile still prominent on her face as she chuckled at Sam's strange thought. Looking up at him she took note of the completely serious expression displayed on his face. sighing in defeat she thought about the question before she nodded: "I mean yeah. probably" 

Sam nodded running a hand over his face as he bit his lip thinking of all the people they'd left behind, and how his random thought failed in an attempt to be a distraction. the cheers of Rosita and Glenn filled the air, their plan had worked. they'd caught a fish. Just as Sam was about to speak again he was cut off: "Guys. you'll never believe what's in this bag"

Alex's attention instantly shifted from Sam to Tara at the woman's words. Alex made her way over, Glenn and Rosita doing the same. Sam sighed watching the woman walk away, Scratching the slight stubble growing on his chin his thoughts only causing anxiety to spiral deep within his stomach. despite how hard he tried to shift his focus from the thoughts that lingered in his mind they remained. almost tormenting him. 

***

"Are you alright?" Eli questioned, his eye's focused on Maggie as he caught her attention. Leaving Eugene to rest with Josh he approached the brunette to check on her, knowing from a previous conversation the grief she'd experienced in recent weeks was getting to her. Maggie's eyes flickered up to Eli as he settled beside her sitting against the broken-down firetruck. 

"Yeah" She sighed her eyes meeting Eli's blue ones, a soft smile tugging at her lips. Eli's lips pressed together forming a line as he exhaled through his nose. Eugene still hadn't woken up. things weren't looking good. Despite the anger toward Eugene that raced through the blonde man's veins, he wanted him to be okay. he wanted everyone to be okay. he just wanted to wake up from the nightmare that was his life and for everyone to be safe.

"Are you?" Maggie questioned, Eli sighed nodding. he had to be. noticing his unease Maggie shook her head, her heart skipping a beat as she reached for the man's hand in an attempt to comfort him. Eli's eyes flickered from Maggie down to their hands. Taking her hand in his their fingers intertwined, waves of electricity ran through his veins as he looked back to Maggie, a small smile tugging at his lips.