32

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO || A LIAR'S SERVE

-----------------------------

The shouting, the fighting. it all stopped. everyone stared up at Eugene trying to fathom the words that had just escaped the man's lips, Anger instantly radiated throughout the group. all eyes locked on Eugene as they waited for an explanation; "I'm not a scientist! I lied. I don't know how to stop it."

"you what??" Alex spat getting up, an unseen anger radiating from her as she surged forward, her expression one of utter betrayal. she'd left Rick, Carl and Judith to protect a liar. Betrayal and disbelief burnt her veins as Glenn grabbed her arm stopping her in her tracks. silence returned to the group as they stared at Eugene in disbelief, trying to understand fully.

A shaky breath slipped past Alex's lips, Josh. They'd put him in danger for what? she'd put Glenn, and Sam in danger for nothing? left her family for nothing? the hot burn of betrayal that flowed through her veins was uncontrollable. Escaping Glenn's grasp. she surged forward. her clenched fist colliding with the man's chin. her anger uncontrollable. 

"Alex!" Both Glenn and Sam almost instantly tore her away as Eugene stumbled back. Steadying himself from force of Alex's punch. Pain etched his features. his hand cupping his sore face. Alex's anger radiated as the two men gripped her shoulders pulling her away. Shrugging the men off her she raised her hands in defeat: "Alright. alright."

"no he is a scientist I've seen the things you can do" Rosita defended denial coursing through her veins, she didn't want to believe it. they'd been Eugene's puppets. they'd protected him thinking he was the world's last hope... but he wasn't he was just a sad coward of a man. loyal people take things personally because they know they never would've done that...

"I just know things" Eugene huffed as everyone stared. Sam stood beside Alex, his heart racing. fists clenched by his sides. fighting the urge to take over what Alex had done and beat the shit out of Eugene. his veins were hot with rage. after everything they'd done for him. 

"you just 'know things'?" Glenn questioned from beside Alex, hurt evident in his voice. Alex's eyes flickered to Eli. Silent. He was silent. disbelief coursed through his veins. almost a year. a year of protecting a liar. 

"I know I'm smarter than most people, I know I'm a very good liar. and I know I need to go to DC." Eugene answered avoiding direct eye contact with Glenn as he cradled his own chin feeling sorry for himself. A scoff slipped past Glenn's lips as his eyes darted to Josh who stood staring at Eugene a sarcastic comment on the tip of his tongue. 

"why?" Maggie questioned from beside Eli. A cloud of betrayal and hurt loomed over the group as Josh spoke up with a scoff: "Not even a survivor. how am I at 13 braver than you?"

"Because I do believe locale holds the strongest possibility for survival, and I wanted to survive. if I could cheat some people into taking me there. well, I just reasoned id be doing them a solid too considering the state of the world." Eugene reasoned as the final wave of disbelief washed over the group, Abraham lowered himself to the floor, and Glenn pinched the bridge of his nose as Alex and Sam shared a distasteful look. 

"people died trying to get you here" Rosita scoffed hurt creeping through her veins as she stared at Eugene with a blank expression of disbelief clouding her features. she'd trusted him. Sam stepped forward rage consuming him as he spat: "And you put every single one of us in danger. a kid. you could've killed a kid."