45

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE|| WORDS TO LIVE BY

"Glenn where else would he be?" Alex asked her voice laced with urgency, after searching the majority of Alexandria for Josh. The whole group anxiously had been searching for him for hours. Even typical Alexandrians being recruited to join the painstaking search for the young boy.

"We'll find him. he couldn't have gotten out. Deanna's certain he's still in here... somewhere" Glenn reassured, Alex shook her head in disbelief. Darkness had begun consuming Alexandria, fueling her panic. the dangers that prowled the outside, the thought of Josh in danger made her heart race with fear.

"Alex!" Her head jerked toward the sound of a familiar voice, Carl. Turning the couple watched Carl jog toward them, his long hair falling to his forehead as he came to a halt in front of them.

"There's another kid missing. Bailey. I just spoke to Tyler, he said she'd normally be home by now" Carl explained after having been searching for his best friend for hours, a cloud of grief fuelled panic consuming the group that had split up to search after Alex's stern orders to find Josh.

"Fuck sake. If we don't find him there's gonna be Hell to pay" Alex scoffed under her breath, Her heart racing aggressively in her chest as it had been since she'd found out he was missing. He was family, She didn't care what anyone else had to say, Josh Harper was her son.

Alex's anxiety had skyrocketed, She'd let her guard down for a second. Letting herself talk to Sam, Have a real conversation with one of her best friends when she should've been keeping track of where Josh was. he was only A kid. Guilt rolled through her body. a pain she wouldn't wish upon anyone drowned her heart as she, Glenn and Carl continued searching Alexandria.

Searching for any sign of Josh. Any sign of where he was. She needed to find him, Glenn needed to find him. He was a part of them, He was their Family.

*****

"Alex!" She heard her name being Called again, And anger flooded her body. She didn't want another pointless update of someone telling her they hadn't found him. She couldn't deal with another aimless update.

"Alex I got him!" When she heard Eli's voice again. her heart dropped as both she and Glenn turned instantly toward the voice, Seeing Eli walking toward them with a smile and Josh by his side.

A splatter of Blood across the young boy's face making her lungs clench with worry as she rushed toward him instantaneous relief flooded her body as she hugged the young teen whose facial expression fell to one of utter confusion as both Alex and Glenn hugged him.

Hugged him as if they were his parents, Hugged him as if they were afraid he'd disappear if they let go too quickly. Glenn patted the boys shoulder in disbelief as Alex ruffled the boy's brown hair before pulling away.

"I was only gone for a few hours" Josh huffed as the three adults stared at him, The worry in their eyes outweighing the anger they felt about his carelessness. He'd walked Bailey home before Eli had frantically rushed toward him bombarding him with questions about where he had been.

"A few hours?! Josh, you've been gone all day" Glenn corrected as Alex stared at Josh's face examining the splatter of blood almost as if she was checking him for injuries, a look of relief falling upon her features as Josh seemed okay. 

"I'm Gonna go and tell Everyone we found him" Eli nodded patting Glenn's shoulder as he walked past them going to Tell everyone they didn't need to keep searching and that Josh was safe.

"where the hell have you been? are you okay?" Alex questioned her hand on Josh's shoulder as Glenn's eyes did the same as Alex's had. Scanning Josh for any signs of Injury before Glenn's hand fell on the small of Alex's back leading both Josh and Alex back to their house so they could have an actual conversation. 

"I was with Bailey, She's friends with Ron and Enid. but yeah- I'm okay" Josh nodded as he walked with the two adults through the streets of Alexandria as they returned to the house they'd been given. Relief rushed through both Glenn and Alex's Veins as their house came into view. 

"where did you go?" Glenn asked knowing josh wasn't revealing the full story, The young boy sighed as they approached the porch, slowly walking up the steps as he answered: " Bailey, she lost her backpack. I helped her find it"

"You went out there?? Alone?" Alex felt a sudden flush of anger filling her veins at the revelation Josh had risked his life over a backpack, Not to mention he didn't even know the girl he'd agreed to help. Glenn sighed as he opened the front door his eyes meeting Alex's as if reminding her to stay calm. 

"I wasn't alone. I was with Bailey. Plus I can handle myself, I still had the knife from Terminus. I killed a walker, You would've been proud" Josh chuckled completely brushing off the seriousness of the situation and the dangers he'd faced leaving without significant protection. 

"Josh, do you know how stupid that was? you could've died" Alex exclaimed trying to keep her composure yet the memory of Beth replayed in her mind and had consumed her every thought while Josh was missing. Josh blinked swallowing the lump in his throat as his glance darted between Alex and Glenn. 

"She's right Josh. You can't risk your safety over something like that. A backpack? What were you thinking" Glenn shook his head, The tensions of the day becoming prominent as Josh took a step back from the Couple, his thoughts pounding within his mind. 

"I was thinking if all I had left of you two was in a backpack I'd risk everything to get it back too." Josh's words slashed at the hearts of the couple causing them both to rethink their words. Alex's lips parted slightly as she stared at the boy whose expression resembled one of fear. Fear of what the future held for them all. 

"Josh- I- You wouldn't have to do that. We aren't going anywhere" Alex reassured despite the fact she had the same fears. The night Josh revealed his past to them in the barn she'd promised herself she'd promised herself she'd do everything she could to ensure Josh could live the life he should've. 

"You can't promise me that" Josh shook his head. The last conversation he'd had with Bailey as he walked her home rang in his mind. How she explained the pain of losing her parents had terrorised him. He couldn't Imagine losing Alex and Glenn.

"You're right. We can't. But we can promise we'll do everything we can to always come back to you." Glenn reassured taking a step toward Josh letting his hand fall on the teen's shoulder. Josh looked up at Glenn shaking his head as his eyes glossed over at the pure thought of losing them, His underlying fear of abandonment showing. The thought of losing the only two people who'd ever made him feel safe was sickening. 

Josh surged forward his arms wrapping around Glenn in trauma-laced worry that caused Josh's lungs to ache with the pain he'd experienced. Taken back by Josh's sudden affection Glenn hugged the boy back, Paternal energy running through his veins as he comfortingly rubbed Josh's back. Alex's chest tightened at the sight before her, The bonding between her boys took her breath away a soft smile tugging at her lips. 

"We're family Josh, We'll always find our way back to each other" Alex reassured as she approached the pair as Glenn carefully broke the hug. Josh nodded as a weak smile tugged at his lips. 

*******

A\N- I know this chapter is short, I'm sorry guys. I have writer's block again lmao. I hope you're all still enjoying this story, I'd love to hear what you all think. 

Also, i just wanted to say I have a few new fics going at the moment, So if anyone likes 13rw or twilight I'd love for you to check them out :)