25

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE || FOUR WALLS AND A ROOF

———————————————————————-

"I'm okay. I'm okay" Alex assured through gritted teeth her face contorted by pain as Glenn pulled her jacket from her body, in order to check for bites. Panic coursed through his veins as he looked over the woman he loved for bites, bile rose in his throat. he'd just proposed...  this couldn't be happening. 

"Alex? Is she okay?" Eli called from across the room as he worked on helping Bob, trying to slow the bleeding. His hands clamped around Bob's wound as his eyes fixated on his Best friend. it was scary how things could change so quickly, hours prior they were celebrating, and now the fear of death loomed over them. 

"Yeah-" Alex grunted, The pain in her back causing a groan to slip past her lips as Glenn's hands ran down her arms checking her body for bites. Her vision blurred as she focused on Glenn's face, A expression of panic consuming him. The mixture of pain and adrenaline rushing through her body made it difficult for her mind to focus. 

"No bites! She just cut her arm from falling" Glenn announced as Sam rushed to get a bandage from Eli's bag, Alex looked up at Glenn shaking her head. The pain Shooting through her spine was overwhelming as she gripped hold of Glenn's wrist taking a deep breath in an attempt to control the pain.

"you're okay, I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere" He whispered softly in an attempt to comfort her. his brows Furrowed as realisation hit. the memory of her telling him about her injury back at the prison rushed through his mind as his head snapped back toward Eli, his heart violently pounding against his ribcage. 

"Eli! it's her back. what do I do?!" Glenn Panicked as he remembered the severity of her back injury replayed in his mind. His heart raced as he looked at the woman in front of him. Squeezing his wrist tightly, His hand going over hers, Trying to soothe her in any way possible. Her head back against the wall, her Jaw clenched as pain consumed her.

"Get her flat! Stabilise her spine. Do it carefully!" Eli ordered his hands glued to Bob's leg trying to Control the bleeding as he desperately fought the urge to run over to Alex. better be safe than sorry. 

"It's not that bad Eli, I just- just need a minute" Alex huffed watching Glenn frantically turn his head to Sam as he dropped the bandage to the floor. he rushed over to Glenn nodding. a mutual understanding between the two men. Glenn got up gently taking Alex's shoulders as Sam Helped him get Alex Flat against the floor. A Wince of pain left her lips as they lowered her.

"I'm right here Alex you're okay," Glenn assured as he crouched next to her, Panic Flooding his veins as His chest constricted, He hated seeing her like this... his stomach churned, nausea fueling him as he tried to control his own emotions. 

"I'm okay. I'm alright." She repeated shaking her head. She had to be. despite the pain, She knew the difference, She remembered the pain of her original injury. That was a pain she'd never forget, and this. Well, this didn't even come close.

"Rosita! Take over." Eli ordered looking over to his Friend in a desperate attempt to Check his best friend was okay. Rosita's face fell as she was ordered to look after Bob. But she agreed nonetheless. Rushing over to Eli Her hands quickly replaced his.

"Alex, what's going on?" Eli huffed rushing to Alex's side, The taller man towered over her as he lowered himself into a crouching position beside her Worry consuming his face as Glenn and  sam looked to him for answers.

"I fell" She hissed through gritted teeth her vision still not having returned to its normal state as she gripped Glenn's hand tightly.

"you've fallen before Lex. It's gotta be more than that." Eli knew the severity of her injuries, He was there through every step of her recovery. He knew the vigorous tests she was put through to continue working. it had to be more than a fall.