34

CHAPTER 34 || A PAINFUL ENDING

-------------------------------------------------------

The firetruck came to a halt, and Alex's eyes flickered toward Maggie, the wide smile across her face hadn't shifted from when she found out her sister was still alive, the pure bliss and happiness that radiated from Maggie flooded the group with a sense of hope. a sense of hope that was needed after Eugene's lie. Eli opened the door of the truck, stepping down he held his hand out for Maggie to take helping her down from the raised fire truck. Smiling down at Maggie the blonde man watched as she happily waited to be reunited with her sister.

Alex and Glenn followed getting out of the truck, soon by everyone else slowly making their way out of the cramped space they'd been confined in for the hour journey. Sam's eyes locked with Alex's smile shared between them indicating a slither of happiness they once thought might have been lost.

As the group rounded the truck Alex looked toward Maggie about to offer some reassuring words, yet just as she did. A gunshot echoed through the air. eyes widened as almost everyone in the group reached for their weapons. dread filling the stomachs of everyone nearby. Alex's immediate attention switched to signs of danger as she pulled the pistol from the holster on her thigh. Ushering Josh behind her as she slowly approached the building before them. Glenn and Sam by her side as the group ventured forward.

"Walker" Josh mumbled from behind Alex after catching sight of a lone walker approaching Glenn's right. Glenn let his gun fall to his side, pulling a knife from his waistband he left the security of the group to handle the walker. Alex's heart raced. a gunshot followed by silence wasn't a good sign and she knew it. her mind instantly racing to the people inside that building, Rick, Daryl, Beth. Alex's eyes flickered to Eli who walked beside Maggie, Nodding toward her best friend they shared a look. one they used in the military. one that could only be described as protect. Eli nodded lightly urging Maggie behind him, the tall blonde now walking a step ahead of the Greene girl weapon raised and ready. ready to protect her.

Glenn's knife wedged through the walker's skull, the cracking of weak bone filled his ears as he pulled his knife from the thing's head sending it to the floor with a thud before returning to the group and reaching for his Gun. Returning to his place beside his wife, his eyes flickered to hers a mutual anxiety between them as they edged closer and closer toward where they'd heard the gunshot. Heartbeats increased as another walker emerged from the Left only fueling the sense of danger. michonne then leaving the security of the group to rid them of the danger of the approaching walker.

slashing the walker with her katana the group carefully ventured closer to the building the previous gunshot had echoed from the sense of danger not faltering for a second. Alex's breath caught in her throat as she caught sight of Rick. there he was. Leading the group from the building. he was okay. an involuntary sigh of relief escaped her lips knowing he was safe yet that false sense of security was snuffed out like a match As he locked eyes with his niece and a subtle shake of his head made her heart drop.

her stomach churned as she lowered her weapon, Sasha, Tyreese and Carol. they followed close behind Rick. a shiver shot down her spine as she swallowed the bile that rose in her throat at a sight she wasn't sure she'd ever be able to erase from her mind. Daryl emerged, his face contorted from grief as he held a lifeless beth in his arms. He approached the group his slow steps giving everyone a chance to process the body he held close, Beth. Her gorgeous blonde locks doused in crimson red blood. her arm falling aimlessly from her body swaying with every step Daryl took. She was gone.

Alex's heart pounded violently against her chest. the earth-shattering cry that escaped Maggie's lips muffled by the sound of Alex's own heart as it broke. every thought in her head exploded into pure, pounding white. she was alive. an hour ago. an hour ago she was alive.

Alex stood frozen. her eyes glued to the young girl in Daryl's arms as he got closer to the group. involuntarily shaking her head. it couldn't be. they'd just been told she was alive. oh, how things can change in a matter of seconds. she was alive, then she was gone.

it was easy to forget how fast things could change the happiness and hope that can flood your body switching to what could almost be described as a bullet wound through your heart that consumes your chest with a searing pain that can never be forgotten. and there it was, the sickening feeling of familiarity. grief. guilt. the hope behind Alex's eyes diminishing for what felt like the hundredth time.

"No" Maggie sobbed. her chest violently aching, longing for her sister. every ounce of willpower and hope she had left quickly fading with every laboured breath she took. grief weakened her body in a way she never imagined. her legs failing beneath her as Eli quickly wrapped his arms around her. steadying her body as he pulled her close letting her feel it, letting her feel the grief in whatever way she needed. his heart breaking for the young woman he'd never met. Maggie's cries causing physical pain to anyone close enough to hear. Each earth-shattering sob fueling the paralysing grief that consumed the group.

Eli held Maggie in his Arms each sob taking control of her body. grief causing her body to shake with an indescribable pain that only came with losing a loved one. his hand gently rubbing her back as he tried fighting off his own emotion. Maggie's grief flooding the group in waves of sorrow as she gripped Eli, clinging to him as if her life depended on it. her tears staining the material of his shirt.

As Alex tried tearing her eyes away from the lifeless body in Daryl's arms everything stopped, as if the world stopped spinning a piece of Alex's heart shattered. the tears that pooled in her eyes felt like they'd be permanent. even Glenn's reassuring hand on her back didn't ease the harrowing pain in her chest. the unforgiving world didn't care how young, how innocent, how good someone was all the world seemed to want was blood. everything ended in blood.

**