31

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE || ANGER-RIDDEN

-----------------------------------

"do we think this is actually gonna work?" Josh asked a hint of sarcasm lacing his voice as he stood between Alex and Sam while they waited for Abraham, Eugene and Glenn to attempt starting the firetruck they'd spent all morning trying to fix. just as Alex was about to respond, the rumbling engine of the firetruck filled their ears, the sound was followed by happy laughter coming from the group, the plan was back on track. things were gonna work out.  

"Bout time things started going our way" Abraham exclaimed, Smiles growing on everyone's faces. Sam's hand fell to Josh's shoulders they began to approach the fire truck; "that answer your question?"

A smile rose on Josh's face as his eyes flickered between Sam and Alex. happiness flooding their surroundings. the cloud of pain and grief that once followed Alex everywhere she went couldn't be seen. things had changed. she was fighting for a future, the future everyone had believed was normal years prior. a sigh of relief slipped past Alex's lips as Abraham began pulling the truck forward testing the engine. 

"you alright?" Alex asked, her voice soft as she turned to Maggie noticing the woman's sad expression watching Eli walk toward Glenn as the firetruck pulled out. almost as if Alex pulled the woman from her thoughts she turned offering Alex a soft smile. maggie didn't offer a verbal response, just a soft nod as Alex's hand subconsciously moved to the woman's arm in a comforting manner, the same way it had back in the prison when Hershel had been bitten.

"Just come find me if you need anything okay?" Just as Maggie nodded listening to Alex's words the splutter and rattling of the engine caught the girl's attention, followed by the frustrated cursing that left Abraham's lips; "come on! just once" 

Abraham jumped out of the firetruck as Glenn, and Eli approached him followed by the two girls who were previously talking, the rest of the group keeping their distance as they went through their supplies. 

"we'll find another ride" Glenn offered trying to keep Abraham calm, things would work out. they had to. the future of the world was at stake after all. Sam approached the group as Abraham spoke again: "If there was a ride worth a shit in this town we'd have seen it"

"This thing's done some crowd clearing, right up into the intake. which means we got an air filter filled with damn human remains. and there is no damned corner on this damned earth that has not been dicked hard  beyond all damn recognition" Abraham exclaimed frustration radiating from him as he tried clearing the filter on the side of the truck, tension building in the air as Eli spoke up: "Abraham"

"What" Abraham's voice laced with anger, the stress that came with trying to get Eugene to Washington, and what hung in the balance getting to the brooding man as Eli stepped forward to continue only for Rosita to cut him off. 

"that feeds the radiator. the intake for the engine is actually on the roof." she pointed out Abraham's obvious mistake a chuckle slipping past Eli's lips despite him trying to hold it back resulting in a glare from his best friend. abrahams expression fell as his head shot toward Rosita, nodding the ginger tried to play off his mistake. 

"what the fuck" Josh's mutter caught the group's attention, Sam turning first to see a tire rolling past them. the rest of the group turned to the peculiar scene. Both Sam and Alex's hands falling to the weapons on their belts. a string of thuds filled their ears quickly followed by the snarling sound of walkers emerging from a nearby building.