37

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN || THE STRINGS ATTACHED TO DEATH

------------------

"What?" Alex questioned as the group walked away leaving the couple to talk, Glenn's eyes flickered across Alex's face taking in the blood splattered across her face, an unfamiliar sense of sadness lingered between the couple as they locked eyes. Glenn took a step toward her taking her hand in his.

"You okay?" He questioned his free hand coming up to cup her cheek gently wiping away the walker's blood splatter. a look of concern evident on his features as his eyes subconsciously checked her for injuries. Alex nodded unsure of what she could even say, the harrowing emotions rushing through her veins only now beginning to ease. 

Glenn sighed unsure as to how to word what he wanted to say, The hand cupping Alex's cheek rounded the back of her neck pulling her into his warm embrace. initially surprised by the gesture alex hugged him back, her arms wrapping around him as he held her close. 

his warmth, his comforting scent encapsulated her, easing the burning pain deep within her chest, Glenn cradled the back of Alex's head as she buried her head into his shoulder until he spoke up: "We're going to find somewhere... I just, I just need to keep you and Josh safe until then... I thought you were staying with Sam. We said no going off alone." 

Glenn's voice echoed through Alex's mind, After the conversation she'd just overheard, she wasn't sure what he was insinuating, she didn't want him to bend his morals for her. She could protect herself. she hated it. she hated the way the world changed people. she'd seen the difference in Carl's eyes. and now she was seeing it in Glenn's. 

"We split up to find more supplies" Alex answered the tone of her voice all too familiar to Glenn. he'd heard that exact tone before. at the prison, in the storage container at Terminus. That voice was one he knew all too well. and it didn't take a lot for him to realise she wasn't okay.

"You sure you're okay?" the Korean questioned gently breaking the hug so he could look down at his wife, The kindness that lingered behind his broken brown eyes almost made her melt under his gaze, the warmth of his love rushing through her body as she nodded again. 

"Yeah, yeah I'm good. I just- I can't keep doing this" She sighed, the almost permanent agony she felt easing for a moment as she stared up at him, his soft features accentuated by the sunlight shining down on them, noticing the stubble growing on his chin alex leaned forward pressing a soft kiss to his lips. which Glenn gratefully returned his hand falling on her waist as he savoured the taste of her against his lips. 

"You can. You have to." Glenn mumbled against his wife's lips as he broke the kiss, his words sending raw emotion through Alex's body. She had to, but did she want to? the pain, the pain that came with the life they lived was almost debilitating. it pained her soul in a way she wasn't sure she'd ever be able to recover from. 

"It hurts Glenn. Lori, Hershel, Beth... if I ever lost you... Rick, Carl" Before Alex could even finish her sentence Glenn was shaking his head and cut her off: "You wont. you can't think like that beautiful... the thought of you, losing me. hurting... I couldn't take that. that's why we need to be careful, we always do what we can to stay together okay? I'll always find you."

Alex nodded, her heart aching purely from his words alone. the safety she felt with him was unmatched. the love, she felt was something years ago she didn't believe in. Pulling him into another hug alex buried her face into his chest The dark murky forest scent that lingered on him distracted from any other smells, not that she cared. being in his arms was enough comfort for her. whenever she felt his arms around her she was enveloped in a safety blanket that only came with Glenn Rhee.