38

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT || DEADLY TALES

----------------------------------------

"What cannot be seen is eternal. for we know that if the earthy tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from god. a house not made from hands, eternal in the heavens... in the heavens" Gabriel spoke, his voice laced with grief as the group took turns shovelling mud across tyreese's grave.

Daryl passed Sasha the shovel letting her place the last shovel on mud on his grave, the mother Mother Earth swallowing him whole, along with any sense of hope that had lingered within the group after Beth's death. the intense cloud of grief that followed the group gloomed over them, clouding their decisions, and filling them with a paralysing sense of despair.

standing around Tyreese's grave the group rode the waves of grief once again. The feeling almost numbed the rest of their emotions. tearing away any hope things would work out. Grief seemed to be becoming all too familiar, some would say it became easier yet in reality that couldn't be any further from the truth. every loss tore open old wounds, almost magnifying the grief of every death the group had faced. Increasing the pain that lingered within their hearts. And alex wasn't sure how much more they could take, how much more she could take. everyone had a breaking point and she was millimetres away from hers.

****

"I found this... while we were looking for water" Carl's voice pulled Alex from her own thoughts as she walked with the group, the hot sun beaming down on her as she wiped the beads of sweat from her forehead. Looking down at her cousin who seemed to be growing up all too quickly, he handed her a small box, pink patterns covering its surface area. Raising a brow alex took the box into her hands examining it.

"What is it jelly bean?" she sighed looking down at the box, The heaviness of her heart felt as if it was taking a toll on her body, weighing her down, making it harder to walk, harder to carry on. Yet as her eyes locked with her cousins she heard Lori's voice, she remembered Lori's words. and she remembered why she had to keep fighting.

"I think it's used to play music," Carl explained as Alex opened the pink box revealing a small ballerina inside the music box, Alex's heart swelled with love as she stared down at the box before Carl continued: "It's broken."

"Thank you" She offered the young teen a soft smile, her hand falling on his shoulder as he nodded smiling before walking off and joining Josh walking ahead with Sam. Alex took a breath as she watched the two young boys greet each other. gathering her thoughts she glanced around the group catching sight of Maggie. The memory of her Clinging to Eli screaming out for her sister, begging the harsh world to be forgiving, flashed in Alex's mind. once again reminding her of their slim chances against what the world had become.

"You alright?" Alex heard the familiar voice of none other than Eli Moore from beside her. boosting morale was something he was always good at, something Rangers were praised for. yet now, that skill had diminished, the group was a mess. Nothing Eli could say would distract from the grief that lingered in the air, as if inhaling smoke each breath hurt. sending waves of guilt through their bodies.

"As good as I can be." Alex nodded, her eyes focused on the road ahead of her avoiding the harsh blue eyes of her best friend who had the same ability as Glenn, the two men were able to read the woman like a book, seeing through any lie she threw their way. and that sentence was no exception.