26

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX|| UNRAVELING TRUTHS

-----------------------------------------

"Yeah" Abraham scoffed as he turned to Rosita, Glenn's question hung in the air, he really thought it was safer leaving in the middle of the night rather than waiting till morning. Sam tried getting Alex to sit yet she was too focused on the altercation unfolding before her, her eyes glued to Glenn. 

"We need each other for this. we need each other to get to DC. we can get through all of this together." Glenn reasoned, his voice raised as Abraham turned back to him, their eyes locked as Abraham edged closer to Glenn, Alex took a step toward them only for Sam to stop her, sending the woman a warning glance. 

"I have an idea" Tara rushed toward Glenn and Abraham as Alex shrugged off Sam and began hobbling toward the group who had no idea they'd woken her up. Sam rolled his eyes following the woman who caused him anxiety.

"if you- if you stay one more day and help. I'll go with you to DC no matter what."  Tara offered as Abraham's eyes locked with hers distracting him  from Glenn, The pain in Alex's back prevented her from being able to outwalk Sam, the freckled brunette stopping her in her tracks again; "Alex, please sit down" 

Sam whispered desperation laced his voice as he didn't want the girl to injure herself more than she already had. the guilt that had built in his stomach still prominent from the fact he hadn't noticed Alex's injury while they were alone. their eyes met as she stared up at him, worry consuming his eyes when a voice tore their attention from one another.

"Glenn and Alex too." Abraham extended the deal his eyes meeting Rick's, as  Glenn shook his head unsure as to the extent of Alex's injuries. Alex stepped forward the group still primarily focused on Abraham not having noticed she was edging closer to them as Rick spoke up, his  voice blunt; "No"

"Good Luck then, I'm not interested in breaking up what you have here. Rosita, Eli grab your gear."" Abraham scoffed as he turned to leave, Alex's eyes flickered straight to Eli this couldn't be it.

"Abraham" Rosita tried to reason with him, Alex's heart broke as he shut Rosita down instantly with a quick "Now"

"Eugene" Abraham called upon not seeing the man move, as Eli and Rosita began collecting their gear, Eli's eyes fell on Alex a saddened expression laid upon his face as he almost instantly approached her gently pulling her into his arms.

"I'll find you alright?" Eli whispered promising both Alex and himself that this wouldn't be the end. no matter what happened to them, their bond was eternal. the two best friends had been through so much together. when trauma bonds like that are formed. when a friendship goes far enough you build a sibling-like bond it can never be forgotten. he would always care for her, even if they weren't together, even if they were far away from each other he would always be there. 

Tears pooled in Alex's eyes as she clung to her best friend, she'd just gotten him back, she never wanted to say goodbye to him again but here she was. She knew she didn't have a choice. she had to stay with her family. Rick, Carl, Glenn. She had to uphold her promise to Lori.