29

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE|| SELF HELP

-------------------------

"Alex?!" Glenn's panicked voice filled the young woman's ears. As she peeled her eyes open a stabbing pain shot through her body, her eyes immediately screwing shut due to the pain as Glenn reached for her hand. his face etched with a look of concern as he stared at the woman he loved, his heart racing. 

"Alex" He called out again as she peeled her eyes open for the second time, her eyes locked with his. Her pain eased for a moment as she looked up into his caring brown eyes. squeezing his hand she pushed her pain as far back as she could and got up with his help. the majority of her weight supported by him.

"Eugene? Everyone else you alright?" Abraham's voice boomed as Alex's eyes examined Glenn for injuries noticing the blood on his forehead her heart dropped, and a multitude of yeah's filled the air as Alex leaned against Glenn her eyes searching for Josh. 

"Josh? you okay?" Alex's eyes fell on the boy who stood in front of Sam. Sam's hands on the boy's shoulders as he focused on Josh's injuries. the pain tearing through Alex's back being forgotten as she clung to Glenn watching as Sam tended to Josh. A thud pulled Alex's attention away from the boy, her head snapped toward the sound. Walkers pushing themselves against the window stalking what you'd hoped to be their next kill.

"engines on fire. we gotta get outta here" Tara ordered, as A wince slipped past Alex's lips. Glenn took Alex's arm pulling it over his shoulders, his arm wrapping around the woman's waist supporting almost all of her weight. her back burning with pain. The cramped space barely giving Glenn enough space to help Alex. Alex gripped the side of a seat letting Glenn slip free of her grasp as he tried to figure out how he could get everyone out. 

"Sam, you and I go first. knock 'em back. Clear the way for everyone to get out. then we start hittin' 'em alright. Eli. stay with Alex and Josh." Glenn ordered locking eyes with Sam from across. the bus, Sam nodded making his way to the front of the bus where Glenn was. 

"I wanna help" Alex huffed trying to stand straight only for Eli's hand to land on her shoulder and maggies eyes to fall on the girl shaking her head. Josh made his wait over to Alex, a bloodied gash on his lip from the crash as he locked eyes with Alex. 

"not while you're injured" Maggie shook her head, Eli instantaneously agreeing with the woman, Alex's eyes darting between them before she looked down at Josh rolling her eyes. guilt churned within her stomach maybe she was just a burden...

"Josh take this stay close" Eli ordered handing the young boy a dagger, Maggie, Tara, Rosita and Eli stayed by Alex and Josh as Sam, Glenn and Abraham broke through the back door of the bus, the pure force the three men used making the bus shake as they forced the door open.

Surging forward the three men attacked the surrounding walkers, Alex's heart raced as she followed the rest of the group out of the bus, pulling the knife from her waistband, she pushed the pain she felt deep within, the adrenaline rushing through her veins working as a type of pain relief as she lunged forward plunging her knife through a walkers skull. 

The walker fell to the floor as she ripped her knife from its head. pulling back she quickly lunged toward another. doing the same thing. she plunged her knife through its skull. the thing going limp and falling to the floor. her heart raced. from the corner of her eye, she caught a glimpse of Glenn slamming a walker into the side of the bus. a walker approaching him from behind. Rushing toward him. Alex's knife forced its way through the walker's jaw up through its brain. blood splattered over her. pulling her knife from the walker it fell to the floor. turning to see Glenn nod his head thankfully.