11

CHAPTER ELEVEN || THE ORPHAN

—————————————————————————-

"don't shoot! don't!" a panicked voice echoed through her ears, as a young boy jumped out from behind the trees, hands held high in surrender, Panic etched over his features as his eyes darted between both Sam and Alex. Disbelief washed over the pair as they came face to face with a kid, alone in a dangerous world of walkers.

"why are you watching us?" Alex exclaimed gun still raised at the boy, he didn't look any older than 14, his dishevelled hair falling to his forehead, dirt covering his face and clothes. Sam's eyes flickered to Alex as the freckled man lowered his gun, The boy was only a kid Sam couldn't fathom Threatening a child with a gun. 

"I wanted to make sure you were good people.." he exclaimed, fear laced his voice as Sam took a step toward Alex, tapping Her shoulder wanting her to do the same, And lower Her weapon, Her eyes flickered between Sam and the boy... He was a kid but they didn't know him. Danger still stands.

"he's a kid" Sam warned giving Alex a look, she glanced back at the boy, Sam was right. She gave in and her lowered her gun, yet she still remained cautious of the boy, She remembered what her plan was when she approached her uncle's group in the first place... yet he was a child.

"What are you doing out here?" Sam asked as the boy lowered his hands, gripping the straps of his backpack as he looked between the two adults, the fearful expression laid out on his face transforming into one of relief as he answered;

"same as you... surviving. I was with a group..." the boy revealed as his voice wavered, the question clearly bringing up unwanted memories of grief. Sam's empathy outweighing his suspicion.  the boy's words reminded Alex of what had happened to her, how she felt when she was alone.  how it tormented her, as she'd never wish that upon anyone, especially a child.

"that's alright we understand, what's your name?" Sam asked his gun returning to his waistband as he took a step toward the boy, Alex watched her pity for the young boy showing, grief was a rollercoaster of emotions she hated the thought of children having to deal with it and her mind flickered to her cousin, carl...

"josh. josh harper" the young boy answered his eyes lingering on Alex and the cautious look on her face, Sam however only saw a child. A young boy. while Alex couldn't help but think deeper, how this world forced children to grow up so much quicker, the memory of Hershel revealing Carl shot a boy who was handing over his weapon crossed her mind...

"I'm Sam, that's Alex. we're not gonna hurt you" Sam assured, reaching for his bag. Alex's heart ached as she took in the appearance of the young boy. his malnourished figure stood fearfully before her, clinching the straps of his bag his wide eyes glued to Sam, as he reached into his bag.

"you hungry?" Sam asked his hand venturing through his bag to pull out another can of soup, As soon as Josh's eyes fell on the can his expression lit up, as he nodded the hunger and need for energy clear on his face as Sam offered him a small smile.

"starving" Josh smiled, Alex watched as Sam approached the boy giving him the can. She knew if Carl was alone out there if he came across anyone. she'd want them to look after him. She needed them to look after him, so that's what she'd do for this boy. 

Alex watched as the boy sat beside Sam, a smile tugging at his lips as he inhaled the soup Sam had given him, she'd forgotten what this felt like, helping people. the memories of her time in the army flashing before her eyes as she exhaled. The sight reminded her of when she reunited with her uncle, The first time she met Glenn... Glenn, she needed to find him.