36

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX || DEATH KNOWS NO MERCY 

--------------------

"Your people do this?" Sam questioned as the group ventured through the forest making their way to Noah's estate. Sam's eyes darted between the metal wires woven through the trees, the wire giving Sam a sense of hope they weren't just following loose ends. The wires meant protection, which was an indicator of life.

"wanted to. they must have." Noah nodded as he walked between Rick and michonne The hope his family were alive knawed at him, in his mind they had to be alive. There wasn't a scenario he could fathom that involved them not being there. that involved him being alone, being alone in the world that was a constant fight to the death. 

Rick pulled the machete from his waist, Alex following her uncle's actions as she pulled her gun from the holster. The group began climbing through the wire, a sense of unknown clouding over them. Alex's eyes darted between the members of the group trying to ensure everyone's safety as they ventured further, Sam's huffs of frustration from catching himself on a wire filling Alex's ears.

"You alright?" Alex asked as she caught Sam touching his head from the corner of her eye. turning to look at Sam she noticed the scratch across his forehead caused by the wire, Shaking her head she waited for his response, which only turned out to be a nod as he avoided the woman's eye contact. his reaction to her concern making her raise a brow as they continued walking toward  Noah's community. 

Alex's eyes diverted toward Glenn as if to see if he noticed the way Sam had acted, yet her husband only shrugged. Glenn urged her to continue walking and she did. Right by his side. Making a mental note to check on Sam when they got back. As they got closer Alex felt the familiar military nerves fighting their way back. her pace quickened attempting to catch up to Noah and her uncle. 

"Any spotters? snipers?" she questioned the younger boy, she knew how it worked all too well. protection was key. protection was important and a lot of the time that meant shoot on sight. there was no way she was risking that, not with her family by her side. 

"We build a perch on the truck. Sometimes it's out front." Edging closer to the end of the forest Alex nodded toward Sam and Glenn upon hearing Noah's words. A familiar dread filling her stomach as she watched Glenn peer out from behind some trees in an attempt to get a better look at the estate. 

"Not today" Glenn stated as he turned back to face the group, and in some way, they could fathom whether or not that was a good sign. Alex took a deep breath nodding as she locked eyes with her uncle who shared the same look, The uncle-niece duo automatically began walking toward the gated community a doubt engraved within both of their minds.

Silence filled the air within the group as they walked toward the front gates, not without caution Weapons drawn they slowly approached. The two grimes' sharing the occasional look of doubt as they got closer without being confronted. the intense feeling of doom that clouded over alex hadn't left since Beth... and with each step they took toward the community that feeling only grew. 

Alex's eyes remained focused on the target. the main gates. Her heart raced as she felt the same doubts as her uncle. When the group got close enough Noah forcefully made an attempt to open the gates, the clang of metal against metal interrupting the silence within the group as an almost silent bang was heard, the noise had to have been quite a distance away. Tyrese stepped forward; "You hear that?"