22

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO || THE CHURCH

—————————————————————————

Alex, Maggie and Tara stood outside a rundown Gun store keeping Watch as Glenn, Eli and Sam Searched for supplies inside. Alex clutched her Gun her mind filling with the violent memories of her past. a part of her was starting to believe there was no better, maybe they existed to bleed, maybe they existed to burn. 

They'd followed Gabriel back to the Church, Before splitting into groups To search for supplies.. Alex didn't trust him, and Neither did Rick... Yet the opportunity to lay low, Rest gather supplies, Wasn't one to pass up. Alex knew being on the road had consequences, Especially alone. she wasn't alone this time. She was surrounded by people, But that didn't mean she was safe. being safe was never even a possibility. 

"you know I didn't want to mention anything when we looked this place up in the phone book. but I can't imagine a gun store having leftovers nowadays" Tara stated as she turned to look at Alex, Maggie smiled softly at Tara's words.

"don't look good, does it?" Maggie shook her head as they looked at the state the building was in, Alex shook her head trying to distract from the fact Her boys were inside. the chances of them finding anything they could actually use was slim, yet the three women had faith in the boys that were searching the building. 

"They'll find something surely" Alex tried so desperately to stay optimistic, yet she'd never found optimism to be one of her stronger qualities. but she was trying, she knew her optimism had grown, grown since Glenn. He was the only reason she hadn't given up, as long as he was by her side there was a reason to keep fighting. 

A loud bang came from inside, immediately startling the three girls who stood outside as Alex drew her weapon aiming it at the door, Tara and Maggie doing the same. Edging closer to the door Alex's heart rate increasing. 

Watching as Glenn stumbled out the door, A large rifle in his hand as his head hung Low. Alex's heartbeat returned to its previous steady rhythm upon seeing him, and the girls let out a mutual sigh of relief. 

"was it a walker?" Tara asked watching as Eli, And Sam then Left the store. Alex immediately noticing the smile Eli was trying to keep at bay as the blonde ran a hand across his face trying to disguise his laughter.

"uh- yeah. it was a walker." Glenn's Voice wavered with embarrassment, the sun shining in his eyes, Squinting his glance shifted to Alex. his words only making it more difficult for Sam and Eli to hide their laughter. 

"Really?" She raised her eyebrows, Being able to see through any lie he told almost instantly. The Korean boy an awful liar. Sam's eyes lingered on Alex watching her admire Glenn.

"it was a stack of boxes. and a mop... I tripped." His words made giggles erupt from the three Girls as Eli couldn't hold back the chuckle that left his Lips, a laugh from Sam following. the two men unable to control their laughter after watching Glenn almost fall on his ass.

"Still... Got what we came for" He smiled pulling three silencers from his back pocket, Handing them to Alex smiling as he waited for Alex to acknowledge his discovery.

"Three silencers stashed in the mini-fridge." He smiled proudly as Alex looked up at him, Admiring his beautiful smile, he was so proud of himself, Alex's smile couldn't help but grow.

"Rule number one of scavenging, there's nothing left in this world that isn't hidden." He smiled as the group began walking to the next store.

**