9

CHAPTER NINE || UNRAVELS

—————————————————————————

"Alex I found some canned soups in that house earlier" Sam stated chucking Alex a can of vegetable soup, cold soup. Another delicacy they had become used to living in what the world had become, she caught the can her sad eyes examining it, she'd rather go hungry. her appetite had almost completely diminished, her brain rushing 100mph thinking about her family, the thought of food hadn't even crossed her mind.

"eat. you need the energy" Sam ordered, Alex sighed pulling a pocket knife from her bag and pierced the can as she began opening it. Her thoughts still glued on her family. two days had now passed with no sign of them, Just walking, Searching. Collecting what supplies they could. she couldn't even think of a place they would go. 

The pair had found enough food to last them a few days, Batteries for flashlights, Ammo, enough stuff to keep them alive for at least a few days. Alex sat against a tree as she brought the open can to her lips, The cold soup invading her mouth as she forced herself to swallow. she couldn't do this, this aimless searching. without knowing where they would go it was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. she'd defied the odds of finding her uncle before... she wasn't sure she could do it again. 

Sam threw the empty can of soup he just finished into the abyss of the forest, wiping his hands on the material of his trousers as he sighed, Another night in the unforgiving world with little to no protection a few miles from the prison... for all they knew they could be going in the completely wrong direction.  Alex slowly sipped at the soup, forcing herself to swallow despite how the thick liquid made her want to heave, She watched as Sam got up, a thin layer of dirt and sweat covering his skin as he pulled a small box of matches from his bag trying to light a fire as the sunlight faded.

Sighing she looked down at the soup, Her mind drifting to her cousins. Judith, Carl. Her mind wondering to if Judith was on that bus with Glenn, If they were together If they were Alive. If Daryl had Carl... she pinched the bridge of her nose wanting her mind to rest for a moment. She was drowning again and so desperately needed that one last gasp of air before the burning in your lungs becomes unbearable and you suck in the water. 

eating the rest of the soup she threw the empty can into the woods, taking off her jacket she scrunched it up into a ball laying it on the floor, before she laid down. staring up at the stars she hoped Glenn was doing the same. they were under the same stars. if he was even alive... but she couldn't even bare to think about that even being a possibility. 

"I say we head north tomorrow... I think that's where Glenn and Rick would've gone... maybe" Alex huffed, a dull pain in her back making her shift against the floor, her dirtied white tank top and the cold floor only making that pain worse, yet she didn't mind it, it distracted from the excruciating thoughts in her mind. 

"yeah okay.." Sam sighed his rifle in hand as he leant against the tree, his night on watch. yet Alex had barely slept, it was a constant battle in her mind. constantly thinking the worst. sleep wasn't something that felt possible when she wasn't sure if the people she loved the most were even alive. her mind lingered to the things people say about loss and grief; ' they're looking down on you' 'trust god he'll help you' yet her idea of help from above was a sniper on a rooftop.

She laid consumed by her thoughts of Glenn and her family until her eyes were burning and refused to stay open until her body stopped fighting against sleep and gave in. But sleep wasn't even an escape, her dreams were haunted by the people she'd lost, and the people she wasn't sure if she'd lost.