39

CHAPTER THIRTY NINE || WE ARE THE WALKING DEAD

tw; mentions of abuse, grooming, SA
(after the 'we are the walking dead scene)

---------------------------

"nah this is fucking creepy as shit" Sam huffed his eyes darting from the bottled water displayed on the floor, to members of the group all stood surrounding the abundance of bottles as Rick bent down picking up a piece of paper that read "from a friend". Alex huffed sending her friend a glare for his excessive cursing around Judith, Carl and Josh.

"Sorry, but am I wrong?" Sam scoffed looking toward Alex as Rick walked off to the side, the piece of paper in his hand as Daryl returned from searching for water... Alex's eyes flickered between Sam and the bottled water in the road. discomfort washed over her as she looked out into the forest, they were being watched...

"No, you're not...  but we do need water" Alex sighed, Dehydration was a silent killer and she knew it... But she also knew better than to drink the water someone had left them... The group looked around, unsettling emotions rushing through their veins as the possibility of being followed flooded their minds. what happened at the church reminding them why they had to be so careful.

"What else are we gonna do?" Tara questioned, knowing they were in dire need of water, Yet her question instantly caused Rick to turn back toward the group. Potential dangers flooding his mind: "Not this. we don't know who left it"

"If this is a trap, then so happens we're already in it so I for one would like to believe it is indeed from a friend." Eugene reminded. Alex's grip on her gun tightened as her eyes flickered back to Josh and Carl, baby Judith in her cousin's arms. Dread filled the woman's stomach as she hoped Eugene was wrong. She had to keep them safe.

"What if it isn't? And they put something in it?" Maggie questioned, Elis eyes immediately falling on the woman who filled him with concern only hours earlier. his heart ached for the woman whose life had fallen apart in such a short period of time, wishing he could do more to ease the shattering of her heart. yet little did he know, to her. he was the only thing keeping her afloat.

Eugene reached for the bottles ignoring the protests from the rest of the group. Alex stayed silent as he muttered: "Quality insurance" Eugene unscrewed the cap of one of the bottles. And just as he brought the bottle up his lips Abraham rushed forward swatting the bottle from his hand. sending the bottle flying a few meters from them.

Abraham stayed silent... Walking away from the group his outburst of frustration sent the group into an awkward silence, One Rick didn't feel any shame in breaking as he stepped forward, his blue eyes a shade darker: "We can't"

Alex sighed running a hand through her hair as she turned toward Glenn, her throat burning in dire need of water, her mouth drier than it ever had been before. she'd been drained of all her hope and motivation, the realisation that despite how hard they kept fighting it was inevitable dehydration and malnourishment would be their downfall no matter what. and that fact drowned her heart in sorrow.

Just as Alex went to take a step toward Glenn, Wanting to return to the safety of his arms, and have just a moment of peace that could only be found when his arms were wrapped around her rumbling thunder echoed through the air causing the brunette to look up in hopes of rainfall.

and there it was, what they'd all been waiting for. Droplets of rain poured from the sky, distracting from the blistering heat they'd been walking in all day. The heavy rain started within seconds, Almost washing a fraction of the sorrow from Alex's body as she took that step forward toward Glenn wrapping her arms around his neck, small laughs from the rest of the group filled her ears as Glenn's arms wrapped around her waist.