44

CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR||WHERES JOSH

"you gonna ask Alex if you can stay at mine tonight?" Carl questioned as he and Josh walked down the street in Alexandria after leaving Ron's house, Josh nodded along to his friend's words a cheeky smile spread across his face as he countered: "hell yeah, a Newly wedded couple I don't wanna annoy them by being around all the time"

"You don't annoy them. Alex speaks to you more than she speaks to me now." Carl chuckled shaking his head, The two boys becoming closer friends than they ever would've expected all those months ago when they'd first met. 

"Carl." Josh laughed raising his brows trying to let Carl know what he meant by a newly wedded couple, yet Carl just looked at his friend confused making Josh sigh in defeat revealing what he'd meant; "I don't wanna be a cock block"

"Urghh dude. She's my cousin. Gross" Carl grimaced at Josh's suggestion before the two teen boys erupted into laughter, Josh shaking his head as he confirmed: "No I know. That's exactly why i don't wanna be in the house when it happens"

"You know too much for your age" Carl Chuckled shaking his head at Josh's antic's as the boys went to part ways to head to their separate houses. Josh's smile was the realest it had been in a long time as he shook his head.

"I'll let you know what she says alright?" Josh laughed as they separated Josh turned to the left to walk to where he, Alex and Glenn had begun to start calling home. Carl nodded as he confirmed; "okay"

Josh walked down the street, a warm smile on his face. a smile he didn't need to force. Walking back to the people he trusted, people he felt safe with. Alex and Glenn. The two people who'd treated him better than any foster family he'd ever had did. Memories sprouted within his mind. Memories he wished he could forget; Yet they didn't make his smile fade this time. The bad memories that haunted his mind were now nothing compared to the safety, the security that he felt with Alex and Glenn. 

As Josh walked he felt something hit his shoulder, inciting a quick; "ow" to escape his lips as his head jerked in the direction it came from. His eyes falling on a girl, around his age. Dark brown hair that fell just past her shoulders. her hands tucked into the pockets of her jeans as she stood watching Josh. 

"What the hell was that for?" He questioned his eyes flickering down to the small hard berry she'd thrown at his shoulder The shorter girl taking a few steps toward him, A soft smile on her face as she asked; "Josh right?"

"Uh yeah. Who are you?"Josh questioned brows threaded together in confusion as he studied the girl walking toward him, She hadn't been with Ron. 

"Bailey" She smiled innocently introducing herself as she did the same, her eyes glued to Josh studying him. Josh's confusion only growing as she got closer and asked; "You've been out there right?" she gestured toward the walls making Josh nod.

"last time I went out, I left my backpack. Can you help me get it back?" Josh chuckled thinking she was joking, yet her expression remained serious making his brows furrow further. Josh glanced around to ensure no one else was around. 

"I mean I can- But why are you asking me?" he questioned his words laced with confusion as he approached the unfamiliar girl completely lost as to why she'd ask him. yet she only shrugged at his words. 

"Ron won't, Enid doesn't want to go that far out." she shrugged as if it all wasn't a big deal to her at all, Josh licked his lips as he ran a hand through his hair before he sighed nodding. He had to make friends, outside the group at least.