40

CHAPTER FORTY || THE DISTANCE

Alex sat against the wooden walls of the barn, slowly counting the few bullets she had left in her handheld pistol, internally wishing she'd had her weapon of choice, A sniper rifle. As she closed her hand around the few bullets she'd counted. Her previous conversation with Josh for the night before remained etched in her mind. tugging at the hidden memories that laid buried with the governor. 

The rest of the group sat throughout the barn checking their own weapons and ensuring everything was okay before they set off again. The thought of aimlessly walking, trudging through the heat again for another day was only draining more motivation from the group. 

"Hey. Everyone... This is Aaron."Maggie's voice echoed through the barn as she pushed open the doors, Walking inside she was followed by a man No one recognised. The barn almost instantly echoed with The cocks of their guns, as every weapon in the room aimed straight for Aaron. 

"We met him outside. he's by himself. we took his weapons and we took his gear" Sasha explained as she stood beside Maggie the unfamiliar man between them as Daryl rushed forward to pat him down. The tall walls the group had built around themselves as protection never once falling. 

"Hi" Aaron spoke, his voice weary due to all the weapons pointed at him. Daryl scoffed as he closed the barn doors behind Aaron. Alex's eyes glued to the man in front of her waiting, waiting for any sign to shoot him. 

"You said he had a weapon?" Rick's gruff intimidating voice returned as Maggie approached Rick in order to show him the weapon  Aaron had been carrying. Handing Rick the small revolver, Rick examined it before his eyes connected with the unfamiliar man once again. 

"Something you need?" Rick questioned the man as he tucked the revolver into his waistband, Alex's heart rate picking up as she watched the interaction between her uncle and the unfamiliar man. Aaron stood silent a subtle look of worry consuming his features as Sasha answered for him: "he has a camp nearby. he wants us to audition for membership."

"I wish there was another word. Audition makes it sound like we're some kind of dance troupe... that's only on Friday nights" The man chuckled awkwardly as he tried to make a joke. Alex's face contorted with confusion and disbelief at his words, her eyes connecting with Josh's as the young boy fought the urge to make a comment. 

"And um- it's not a camp. It's a community. I think you all would make valuable additions. but it's not my call, my job is to convince you all to follow me back home. I know, if I were you I wouldn't go either. not until I knew exactly what I was getting myself into... Sasha can you hand rick my pack" Aaaron explained open palms before turning to Sasha. the rest of the group listened intently, the walls of protection they'd built around themselves not falling for Aaron's explanation. 

Sasha nodded, her face remaining one of a stern unimpressed look as she made her way over to Rick handing him the backpack that resinated on her back as Aaron continued: "front pocket there's an envelope. there's no way I could convince you to come with me just by talking about our community. that's why I brought those. I apologise in advance for the quality of the pictures. we just found a camera store-"

"nobody gives a shit" Daryl interrupted, his voice almost emotionless as he scoffed cutting Aaron off, Josh's eyes meeting Daryl as he tried to hide the small smile tugging at his lips while Aaron awkwardly looked to Daryl before continuing: "You're absolutely 100% right" 

"So get on with it." Alex scoffed, unsure of the man. She didn't trust him. She couldn't trust him. Aaron's unsteady eyes met hers as he gulped. Rick crouched down to Aaron's backpack pulling out the envelope before slowly examining the pictures.