28

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT || BEGINNING OF A JOURNEY

------

"This is our route to DC. we'll stick to it for as long as we're able" Abraham explained handing a map to Rick as Alex stood beside Glenn, Judith in her arms. Alex looked down at her youngest cousin. a sadness consumed her as she hugged the young girl in her arms. She had to see her again, she would find them again.

"once Eugene gets to the big brains left up there, things will bounce back. this group should be there for it. you should be there for it." Abraham stepped toward Rick. that's why she was doing this. for a future, a future for Judith, for her and Glenn, for Carl... a future of everyone.

"they will be" Maggie spoke up first after agreeing to join them on their journey to DC, after the deaths she'd faced in recent weeks, she needed to do something, she needed to feel useful. Her eyes locked with Eli's, small smiles tugging on both their lips as michonne nodded: "We will"

"we will" Rick offered a small smile turning to his niece and meeting her eyes, her's flickered from his to Judith to Carl. she'd miss them. yet this was for them. that's what she had to remind herself. everything she did, it was all for them.

"alright let's go" Abraham ordered ready to set off, ready to move. Rick took a step toward Alex as she pressed a kiss to Judith's forehead before carefully handing her back to her father, Rick took Judith into his arms, adjusting her so he could pull his niece into a hug. an uncertain sadness lingered in the air as Alex hugged her uncle, basking in family once last time before she headed to Dc unsure if she would actually ever see them again.

"be safe okay" Rick smiled hugging his niece the uncertainty that came with the future fueled the family's anxiety, Alex nodded breaking the hug as Carl made his way over to say goodbye: "I will Rick, you too"

"I'll miss you jelly bean" Alex smiled down at her cousin who was now stood by her side waiting for a hug. Pulling him into a hug she could feel the worry that radiated between the family. she took a breath as she rubbed her cousin's back.

"I'm coming with" Sam rushed over, Heads flew toward the freckled man as he stared at Alex coming to a stop beside Glenn. he was gonna stay. he'd frantically changed his mind, he knew his chances with the group, and after being alone with Alex after the prison he wanted to stay with her.

"you sure?" Rick questioned, looking at the boy who'd waited until the very last second to change his mind, Sam nodded worry pooling in his stomach as his eyes flickered back to Alex and Glenn. Rick sighed as he nodded, he at least knew there were people who could fight, who could survive looking after his niece.

" come on!" Abraham's voice boomed pulling the small group from their thoughts wanting to leave. Alex sighed looking back at her family before she followed the rest of the people going to DC into the bus, climbing into the bus she watched as Josh as down his anxiety still fresh from what he'd previously revealed to Alex and Glenn, Rubbing the boy's shoulder as she walked past him she sat down beside Glenn.

Glenn's hand laid on the girl's thigh as they sat down her glance shifted out the window where her eyes met carls. she offered her cousin a small smile. Glenn's hand Reassuringly squeezed her thigh as the rattling engine started, her heart only seemed to sink as the bus began moving. her eyes remained glued to her family until she lost sight of them, a sigh escaping her lips as her head fell to Glenn's shoulder. everything would work out in the end. it had to.