23

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR || GOOD DAYS

—————————————————————————-

Alex slipped the Silver band onto her Ring finger grinning ear to ear as she followed Glenn back into the church, the couple's veins flooding with Love, As they approached the group, walking past Bob as they made their way back inside, their fingers intertwined. 

"You alright kid?" Alex smiled ruffling the brown hair that laid on Josh's head as he and Carl both spoke to Eli, Josh chuckled trying to fix his hair as Glenn sat on a church bench behind Alex. She stared down at the boys sat on the floor clearly mesmerised by whatever story Eli was telling them, smiles etched on to their faces. 

"Yeah Eli's telling us about when you two saved almost 50 people in Afghanistan" Josh smiled, Carl sat beside him waiting for Eli to continue. Carl had Always loved hearing stories about his cousin's adventures especially when he was young. She remembered the phone calls she'd get from Lori being told how Carl bragged about his hero cousin to his friends.

Alex chuckled raaaising a brow at her best friend, who alex thought was definitely dramatising the story to better entertain the two boys in front of him, Glenn's hands found their way to Alex's hips guiding her down to sit on his lap.

"That wasn't just us. team effort remember Eli?" She chuckled sitting on Glenn's lap, His arms wrapped around her waist as she looked over at the Blonde man the birthmark on his brow raising as he shook his head knowing she never believed heer efforts were that big a deal, yet they were, she'd saved lives, and even after what she went through she fought against the odds and managed to get back out there and save lives again, and to him, she was inspirational. 

"Okay miss humble" Eli chuckled looking down at the two young teen boys before he continued; "she's Lying. She gunned down the threat so quick so me and my guys could rush in and help the injured. your cousin has the best aim out of everyone I know. she never give's herself enough credit"

Alex relaxed in Glenn's arms, Smiling as she Listened to Eli shaking her head. Alex reached for one of Glenn's hands, Catching sight of the ring on her finger only caused her smile to grow as their fingers intertwined. Despite the situation, She couldn't be happier. Glenn, Carl, Eli, Rick, Judith... Josh, Sam. Everyone in that room meant something to her.

"So my wife's a real hero is what you're saying?" Glenn smiled looking down at Eli. The blonde man's head shot up at Glenn's words, as his eyes darted between the couple. Grinning ear to ear Glenn lifted Alex's hand to show her ring. Eli's expression growing into one of complete happiness as he swiftly stood up.

"Oh my god Lex" Eli jumped up with a smile, Alex shook her head chuckling as Eli took her other hand pulling her from Glenn's lap laughing cheerfully. he pulled her into a hug, She gratefully returned, She couldn't describe how much she had missed that goofball. Eli's muscular arm's wrapped around her, he could describe how happy he was that even in this world, she'd managed to find someone who made her happy.

"I'm so happy for you. but remember you were my best friend first huh?" Eli joked breaking the hug, a smile plastered on his face as Members of the group turned at the commotion curious as to what was going on as Carl shook his head.

"yeah well she was my cousin first" Carl laughed hugging his cousin, Alex's heart melted with love. She hugged her younger cousin with a smile, She hadn't heard his laugh in such a long time she'd almost forgotten what it sounded like, She hugged him back love radiating from her.

When Carl pulled away Her glance shifted to Josh, Her looked up at the woman who'd saved his Life. The sad expression on his face didn't need to be explained. Alex knew. he'd been alone just like she had, being alone re-programmed your brain, and she knew for someone so young, that 13 year old boy would've been terrified now he was in a group, a big one. and that comes  with uncertainty. 

"Come here kid" She smiled nodding her head as she looked at Josh. Her words made him perk up, A small smile tugged at the young boy's lips as he Hugged Alex. She hugged him back, her arm's wrapping around the young brunette, Josh's chest swelled with unfamiliar emotions. Alex caught Eli Giving Glenn a hug in the corner of her Eye. She couldn't wipe the smile from her face. it was almost as if all the trauma from recent days had  dissipated. 

"what's going on?" Rosita questioned her eyes Glued to the group hugging and Smiling in the corner. Alex didn't want to bring too much attention to herself, Yet her best friend had other Ideas. she deserved it, she deserved to be celebrated, even if it was only for a night. 

"Glenn proposed" Eli gushed, Alex heard Glenn's chuckle from behind her as The group erupted into cheers, She couldn't remember a time everyone had looked so happy. Rick walked over to Alex Grinning ear to ear, Baby Judith in his Arms. He pulled his niece into a hug without a second thought. His hand cradled the back of his niece's head, Happiness radiated throughout the group. Something they didn't know they needed.

"I'm so proud of you Alex" Rick's Gentle words took her by surprise as she pulled away to look at her uncle. And in that moment, She'd never felt more Loved. everyone that surrounded her, each and every single one of them meant something, even if she hadn't known them long. 

"thank you" Her voice was barely audible, Happiness flushed through her body. Her uncle reassuringly squeezed her shoulder with a nod before She turned to see Sam, The freckled brunette who instantly Pulled her into his Arms catching her off guard. an ache lingered  in his chest yet he buried it in an attempt 

"I told you we'd find him didn't I?" Sam smiled as he hugged her, She smiled nodding as she rubbed his back. She wouldn't have survived alone without him, and she knew it: Being Alone was weakness she'd never be able to overcome. 

"you did. thank you sam... for everything" he nodded clearing his throat as he broke the hug, his glance shifting to Glenn as he sent the man a soft smile before his eyes  returned to Alex. 

**

"You're with us now, you know that right Josh?" Alex questioned as She sat between both Josh and Glenn. The young boy Didn't believe he was part of the group. His hesitation with Alex earlier on had made her raise suspicions. Pulling him aside she asked him, she knew how it felt the drastic change that came from joining such a large group after being alone. 

"yeah, Just- what if you change your mind.." Josh's fears never left his mind, Despite the fact he tried to remain optimistic and hopeful they still lingered. The young boy had never had a good group, let alone a family. and After revealing he'd been in and out of foster care since he could remember Made Alex's heartache.

"We won't." Glenn shook his head Looking at the younger boy, He hadn't known Josh all that long. But their kindness and trust were something the two had in common. They both still believed there were good people around unlike Alex.

"Josh to every person in this room you're family now. You helped me and sam find our group. You helped me find Glenn." Alex offered Josh a soft smile. He looked between the two adults before a smile rose on his face. he'd finally found somewhere that felt right. but He was still scared of being alone, Just as Alex was.

**

AN: hey guys! i really hope you're enjoying the story so far! i appreciate you all thank you for reading!

Please don't be a silent reader! id love to hear what you guys think about this story and the characters so far! every single comment is appreciated! they make me so much more motivated to write!

Anyways ily <3

josh's flashback chapter shall be coming soon...