35

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE || WHAT HAPPENED AND WHAT GOING ON

(Hey guys this is the first chapter of what is now the third book but i am merging them and am just going to continue writing in this book)

_______

"It was secure. has a wall, homes, 20 people. Beth wanted to go with him. She wanted to get him there. it's a long trip.. but if it works out, it's the last long trip we have to make." Rick explained as he stood in front of the group all looking at him for answers. the conversation he'd previously had with the boy who'd been imprisoned in the hospital with Beth revealed a lot...

an opportunity, if Noah's old gated community was still around this was a chance, just like the prison, a chance at life, at safety. behind walls. an opportunity they couldn't pass up, they had to check, and if it didn't work out then they'd given Noah closure, done what Beth would've.

"and what if it isn't around anymore?" Sam voiced his own concern about the journey, travelling that far for possibly no reason. the dangers that lurked around every corner all too real after the recent events they'd faced... Beth's death hung in the air like the thick smoke that loomed over towns after a wildfire. grief poisoned the oxygen around them. almost every breath fueled their grief, aiding the pain in their chests.

"then we keep going" Rick nodded it wasn't really an option, They had to keep moving, they had to keep trying. Alex nodded at her uncle's words her hand laying on Josh's shoulder as he stood in front of her before michonne spoke up; "Then we find a new place"

"a new place" Josh mumbled under his breath, a new place. he'd never even had a place. not even before the dead started walking. he never felt like he had somewhere. and despite the fact he still didn't. he'd realised he didn't need a place to feel okay when surrounded by these people... The young boy's eyes flickered between Alex and Glenn, he had found his home.

The group came to the mutual decision to split up, half go with Noah, see if his community was still there, and the rest stay and keep Carl and Judith safe. As the group began to split up looking for supplies to fill the van with before they set off. Glenn and Alex locked eyes, a mutual understanding between them regarding the dangers of the trip. Glenn took his wife's hand leading her away from the group, more so out of earshot from Josh.

"you really think we should bring Josh?" Glenn asked his soft brown eyes locked to Alex's blue ones, A sigh escaped Alex's lips as she looked back to Josh before her eyes flickered back to Glenn and she subconsciously squeezed the man's hand.

"Carl isn't coming... Josh shouldn't either." Alex shook her head. Beth's death clung to her like a disease, the fear of losing those kids was almost paralysing, Josh, Carl, Judith. they had to be kept safe. Glenn could read the fearful expression on her face all too quickly, his hand fell upon her waist pulling her body closer to his.

"we're all gonna be okay beautiful" He whispered in an attempt to reassure her, Alex's heart ached at his words. if only he could promise that. pulling her into a hug he cradled the back of her head against his shoulder as she wrapped her arms around him. His arms brought an almost instant feeling of safety a soft sigh of relief escaping her lips at the comforting gesture.

Pressing a kiss to the top of her head he broke the hug knowing they didn't have long until they had to set off in search of Noah's family, and the safety of the walls that surrounded their town. an ounce of hope for that safety lingered in the air as Alex nodded looking up at Glenn. keeping each other safe fueled their motivation to survive in a way neither had imagined when they'd first met.