43

CHAPTER 43 || THE SECRETS OF SAMUEL BECKETT

"Eli Moore Ma'am" Eli introduced himself extending a hand toward Deanna, which she gratefully took, accepting his handshake. Eli smiled, the first sense of normalcy he'd felt in a long time rushing through his veins causing the corners of his lips to tilt up edging a smile.

"It's nice to meet you, Eli." Deanna smiled as the handshake broke, Eli nodded the hope he'd clung to since the beginning still not wavering as he sat opposite the woman prepared for his interview, prepared to give Alexandria a chance. He nodded as his eyes fell on the woman in front of him: "Likewise"

"So Eli, I heard you knew Alex before. Is that true?" Deanna asked hoping to get more information out of Eli than what she'd gotten from Alex. Hoping the muscular blonde before her could help fill in some of the blanks.

"yeah, we met in basic training. been best friends ever since. did a few tours together, Afgan and Iraq Ma'am" Eli revealed, Deanna's brows raising at the man's respect. Her mind taking notes of how even in the circumstances Eli remained respectful trying to make a good impression. 

"Deanna's fine Eli, No need for formalities." She smiled, and Eli nodded wiping his clammy hands against his trousers as she continued: "So you served together? were you intelligence too?"

"combat medic" Eli corrected shaking his head, Deanna's eyes widening at the realisation of Eli's valuable training, a small smile tugging at her lips as a soft chuckle escaped the woman: "Medically trained?.... Eli, We have jobs in this community, Everyone helps out in whatever way they can"

Eli nodded along to the woman's words, Intently taking each word into consideration as she continued: "I'd like you to join our team of doctors in the infirmary."

"Doctors? I'm not qualified. My training is basic life-saving aid, I'm nowhere near a doctor" Eli shook his head in shock. In his mind the idea of being labeled anything but a medic was unfathomable. yet Deanna shook her head reciprocating his actions.

"you've saved lives? Alex spoke highly of your skills" Eli sat dumbfounded at the woman's words as he tried to process what she was saying.

"I mean- yeah I have but my training only works with injuries to a certain extent" Eli reminded, His eye contact with Deanna strong as she shook her head listening to Eli as he added: "it wouldn't be right for me to be labelled as anything but a medic"

"Then label yourself as a medic in the infirmary. you seem like a wise man Eli. I want to have you helping out" Deanna offered Eli a soft smile as she tried persuading him into the job. yet in reality, did the blonde man have much choice? it was life or death after all. they'd almost been out there too long. 

*****

"Where's Alex?" Sam questioned as he walked into Deanna's office. A sense of urgency lingered in his voice as he stared at Deanna waiting for her to answer his question. panic rushing through his Veins as he searched her eyes for any malicious intent. 

"She's safe. now why don't you take a seat and we can talk" Sam's eyes anxiously darted around the room as he searched for a second option, yet came up with nothing. His eyes met Deannas once again and he nodded before he walked over to the chair opposite hers and sat down, his body language squared off as if he wasn't able to focus on the interview. and he couldn't, he wanted to know if alex truly was safe. 

"talk about what?" Sam questioned his brows furrowed together as he stared at Deanna, his thoughts focused on one thing, Alex's safety. he was too eager to leave, and Deanna noticed. His body language was obvious, too obvious. which urged her to ask: "You care deeply about Alex"