You (Mezo Shoji x Reader)

YOU

Warnings: Manga/Anime Spoilers, Fluff

She walked ahead, not turning around. Shoji followed closely behind, mechanically pulling his mask back on. Her long, thick hair swayed side to side with every step she took. He wanted to reach out and touch it... to pass it through his fingers, the way he always did, the way she liked it. This time he didn't dare.

His mind travelled to earlier that evening when he finally opened up to his friends. The whole time he spoke, his eyes kept travelling to [Y/N], but she avoided his gaze. When everyone pounced at him for cuddles, she remained distant. He knew that she should have been the first one to know, to see, but he couldn't do it alone. Shoji felt like a heavy weight was lifted off his shoulders, just to be replaced by a heavier burden in his chest.

His muscles quivered, as he looked at her tensed back.

Shoji watched from under his bangs as she jumpily searched for the keys; he watched as she opened the door, turning the key twice.

[Y/N] entered first and waited for him to follow her. She quietly closed the door, tightly squeezing the handle to the point where her knuckles turned pale.

He waited.

The girl turned around abruptly, her eyes glistering with tears.

"Why didn't you tell me?" the beloved voice was barely audible.

His chest tightened.

"I'm sorry." Shoji took a step closer, painfully clenching his fists. He madly wanted to wrap his arms around her, to hold her close, feel her warmth, but he was not sure she'd allow it.

"Why did you put the mask back on?" [Y/N] looked directly into his eyes. "Am I really that unreliable that you couldn't open up to me before?" her voice trembled.

"I..." he stuttered. "I'm sorry [Y/N]." Shoji repeated and looked down at the floor.

"We've been together for almost a year," she continued looking at him as she moved away from the door. "And you've always insisted on keeping the mask on. You never told me what's bothering you...you never explained anything. Why?"

Once again, he stepped closer.

"I was afraid." He started but the words were too hard for him. A part of him wanted to go back in time and undo what he did, the other part screamed to finish what he started. "I didn't want you to feel sorry for me, but" he fell silent for a moment. "I also didn't want you to leave me."

"What changed?" she spun around, lashing him with her hair. The girl leaned on her desk, looking away. "You are no longer afraid?"

"I am." He answered quietly.

The girl turned around and looked at him intently, warmth welling up in her chest. A warm smile crossed her features. Tentacole felt like he could breathe again.

"Silly...Mezo Shoji, you are so silly." She pushed here hair behind her back.

"Are you angry at me?" he was hopeful.

"I am." She calmly replied. "But I am crazy happy that I can finally do this." She rose on her tiptoes but even then, her head was barely touching his chest. "Mezo, bend down please."

He obediently complied with her request. [Y/N] bit her bottom lip as she hooked her fingers under his mask and slowly pulled it over his head. The girl exhaled soundly.

Shoji tried to control his nervous breathing, but [Y/N] was too close, looking at him too intently. His heart raced and he could feel his quickened pulse somewhere in his neck. [Y/N] remained silent.

"[Y/N]..."

Her fingers gently touched his mouth, slowly making their way to his scars. She was unable to look away. Tender caress tickled his skin, alerting all senses.

"I'm so sorry."

He caught her hands and pressed them to his face. Feeling the touch of her soft small hands was amazing. He always wanted to feel her hands on his face, but he never thought it would happen.

"Don't be." He brought them to his lips, kissing palms lightly. Shivers ran down her spine. Shoji felt her hands shake a little. He furrowed his forehead unsure if it was a bad sign.

Her lips parted.

Adrenaline kicked in.

[Y/N] leaned closer, meeting his gaze.

Her lips moved but no words escaped her mouth, but Shoji understood. At least he hoped he did.

All his arms wrapped around her strongly, holding her tightly, the same way he did when he rescued her on several occasions. He lifted her from the ground, bringing her even closer, allowing the girl to wrap arms around his neck.

Both felt the burning heat rising in the air. Their lips met softly, almost weightlessly. Shoji kissed her very gently on the parted lips, feeling like his lips were touching the finest rose petals.

[Y/N] closed her eyes, melting in his arms. Her mind turned completely blank, nothing mattered except the strong arms holding her tightly and fluttering kisses on her lips.

Shoji continued his gentle caress, not daring to go further, unsure of the boundaries.

She gently ran her fingers through his hair, pulling him closer. Shoji's gaze clouded and breath hitched.

[Y/N] caught his upper lip with hers and lightly nibbled on it with her teeth, before gently kissing over it. His lips moved to his bottom lip, and returned to the top, this time nibbling harder, sending waves of sweet pain all over his body.

His grip on her tightened, which made her gasp a little. Hot breath tickled his face.

Shoji eased down on the bed with [Y/N] in his lap. resting her legs on each side. One of his hands gently rubbed her back while the others innocently caressed her arms, shoulders, and neck.

They broke the kiss, both taking deep breaths.

[Y/N] cupped his face, gently rubbing his jawline with her thumbs.

Their first kiss was filled with a taste of candy and a promise, that each knew they would keep.

Shoji pressed his cheek to hers. "I love you."

[Y/N] smiled touching his face with her lips. "I love you too."