Toshinori Yagi x OC

Warnings: Spin off to WAR OF HEARTS (years later). Fluff and insecurities.

Toshinori Yagi looked at himself in the steamed mirror. Hideously skinny with sharp, angular features and long limbs, long neck, and absent eyebrows. Ex symbol of peace wiped the mirror with his hand, getting an even better picture of himself.

Large scar, covering most of the left side of his chest reddened from the hot water and itched mercilessly. Toshi rubbed it with his bony fingers, trying to avoid scratching.

His heart skipped a beat causing his body to suddenly react with coughing fit. Toshi covered his mouth trying to keep the blood from splattering over the floor. A couple of drops fell on the light blue tiles of the bathroom.

Pointy knees touched the floor while he wiped all the evidence of his incident.

The apartment was quiet. Toshi made his way to the kitchen and poured himself a glass of water. He glanced at the time. Quarter past nine. Ren was later from work again.

Something in his chest screeched unpleasantly when the lock of the front door clicked, and the girl walked in.

Her dark eyes looked up at him and a tired smile crossed her face.

"Hey, Toshi."

"Hey." He walked closer. Long bony fingers touched her cheek, gently stroking the beloved face.

She closed her eyes and leaned into his touch, like a cat, demanding more caress. Her arms snaked around his body, as she buried her face in his chest. He smelled of shower gel and fabric softener, with hints of medication he was prescribed for the rest of his life.

His lips touched her head making her flutter in his arms, but he didn't notice.

Toshi gently held her closer, caressing her back, trailing his fingers over her shoulders where the flowers of her tattoo bloomed.

He knew that their evening will be the same as over the past three months. Ren will refuse to have dinner, take a warm shower, join him for a movie and fall asleep with her head in his lap, while he will run his fingers through her beautiful black locks, once again wishing he had more courage to communicate what was bothering him. But in his current state Toshinori Yagi didn't think he had the right to question.

Ren snuggled to him in her sleep, clenching his loose t-shirt. During such moments, he was ready to believe that nothing had changed between them, that everything was still the same, that the woman who shared the bed with him still loved him just as much as he loved her.

"What should I do to make you stay?" He mouthed wrapping his arm around her. Ren didn't hear.

***

The following morning, she left before he woke up. With a heavy heart, Toshi got dressed, took his prescriptions and made his way to school, ready for another day.

***

"Why don't you just tell him?" Aizawa asked looking over the paperwork. Ren shook her head.

"I want it to be a surprise. So don't tell him either." The stern look on her face made Eraser Head roll his eyes.

"Wasn't planning on it."

"How does it look?" She leaned forward looking over his shoulder.

"Fine."

"Really? That's it?"

Aizawa sighed tiredly. "What else do you want to hear? It's fine."

Ren sat back down resting her face on her hand. "I'm just nervous."