Don't Give Up On Me (Mirio Togata x Reader)

DON'T GIVE UP ON ME

Warning: Manga/Anime Spoilers, Soulmate Universe, Drama

Soulmate universe is a world where each person is destined to meet their perfect match, and when that happens the two halves unite into one whole. Mirio Togata also had a soulmate. His soulmate mark appeared a couple of days after his birth and continued growing as the boy grew older. At the age of eighteen the complicated floral design covered his entire right shoulder, extending down his arm and to the elbow. Well defined and vibrant mark earned many sighs of admiration, and just as many jealous gazes. Mirio admired it too and until he joined Sir Nighteye's Hero Agency as an intern, he considered himself lucky.

She was five years older than him and already a pro-hero, a part of Sir Nigtheye's team and his close associate. Mirio was frozen in his tracks with a wide smile on his face, as she extended her hand for a handshake. As soon as their hands connected, electrical discharge passed through his body making the world stop turning. Her lips twitched, but she showed no other signings of sharing what he felt. His first thought was that she was the one, but as it turned out, Mirio was wrong.

[Y/N][Y/L/N] never encouraged his attention and when she finally got a chance to see his mark, no reaction followed. He was curious about her mark, but never had the chance to see it. [Y/N]'s hero costume completely covered her body and even if he asked her, she would not allow it. Often, he observed her during his internship and the way she looked at his mentor gave away all her feelings. [Y/N] was in love with Sir Nighteye and Mirio Togata was in love with her. He was confused. But Mirio wouldn't be himself if he left things as they were, so after five months, he finally decided to talk to her.

"I'm flattered," she said with a small smile. "But I must reject."

He expected it. "If you don't mind me asking," Mirio continued. "What is your mark like?"

She tensed. "It's a lotus flower."

The same as Sir Nighteye.

His insides clenched as he smiled widely at her. His stomach twisted in a knot as he complemented on how beautiful it must look. His muscles hurt as he clenched his fists not understanding how he could fall in love with someone else's soulmate.

Time did not heal, but he learned to live with it. Often paired together, they worked extremely efficiently. [Y/N] pretended that their conversation never happened and Mirio tactfully followed her lead. Before he realized, a year passed by.

***

"Mirio...it'll be alright. You are becoming an outstanding hero." Sir Nighteye's cold hand held Mirio's cheek. "This is the only future that we shouldn't change. You will be happy. So please...keep smiling."

The room filled with long, loud, high-pitched cries turning everything that happened after into a blur.

***

[Y/N] slowly got off the hospital bed. She got dressed and picked up her bag. She had enough of the hospital. She had enough of everything. Mirai was dead. Grief hanged over her, penetrating every pore. Suffocating. Her eyes, swollen and red, stung every time she blinked, making it hard to concentrate. As soon as she stepped outside, she was caught in a havoc of a busy hospital day. Wanting nothing more, than to mix with the flow of people and leave, she rejected the thought.

She stopped in front of Mirio's room, hesitating, when she heard voices. "Senpai, how are you?" Izuku Midoriya's quiet voice was barely audible.

"Midoriya-kun! I guess I'm one of the few they want to keep an eye on for more than a day, but just look at me! I'm in a tip-top shape!"