(267)

The next day dawned with a sense of apprehension as I descended the staircase, the familiar scent of breakfast wafting through the air. But any hopes of a peaceful morning were dashed when my father, Steve, burst with enthusiasm, eager to share some news.

"Y/n, guess what!" he exclaimed, a bright smile illuminating his face. "Your principal has something exciting planned – a sports day!"

The spoon I held above my cereal bowl paused mid-air as I met his eyes with a deadpan expression.

"No..." I muttered, a touch of resignation in my voice.

Bucky, always the one to jump into a conversation, chimed in with his trademark cheerfulness. "Why not? You're practically a sports prodigy!"

I sighed, setting the spoon down and looking between them. "I won't go."

Determination flashed in Steve's eyes as he leaned in slightly. "Actually, we're helping with the planning, so it's important that you attend."

"Please, no!" I pleaded, my voice tinged with desperation.

Tony, the ever-wise voice of reason, intervened. "Guys, if she doesn't want to go, we shouldn't force her—"

"Tony, that's enough!" Steve cut him off, his voice unwavering. "Y/n, you will go!"

My frustration escalated, a simmering anger taking hold. "No! I hate you! I don't want to go!"

With a heavy heart, I turned and stormed upstairs, knowing deep down that no matter how vehemently I protested, the dreaded sports day was inevitable. The days crawled by, and before I knew it, I found myself standing on the field, surrounded by cheerful chatter and the sound of laughter.

Steve, ever the optimist, attempted to nudge me in the right direction. "Come on, Y/n, why not go socialize with the other kids?"

I shook my head, feeling more isolated than ever. "No... Can we just go back home? This isn't fun at all! And—"

Bucky, always eager to encourage, pointed towards a familiar face. "Give it a try! Look, there's Emy!"

My resolve hardened. "No! Not her! She talks badly about me behind my back! I've heard her!"

Just as I thought I could escape the impending ordeal, the principal's voice resonated across the field, announcing an impromptu competition. A wave of determination washed over me as we congregated on the running track. I had always been good at running, and this was my chance to prove it. But fate had other plans.

Anna, a classmate with whom I'd had numerous clashes, seized the opportunity to knock me off balance. Pain exploded through my knee as I crashed to the ground, my pleas drowned out by the echoing laughter of my peers.

Fury and humiliation surged within me. I sprang to my feet, my anger propelling me forward. With a fierce shove, I sent Anna sprawling to the ground, landing a solid punch on her face.

"DON'T LAUGH! IT'S NOT FUNNY! SHUT UP!" My voice rang out, filled with a mix of rage and desperation.

In an instant, Steve was beside me, his arms wrapping around my trembling form. "Y/n, stop! Stop!"

The entire field seemed to be watching, their curious and judgmental gazes magnifying my embarrassment. Steve turned his attention to Anna, crouching down to offer assistance.

But my mind raced with confusion and pain. Why wasn't he helping me? What had I done wrong? A lump formed in my throat as I watched him gently wipe the blood from Anna's nose with a tissue. Her parents rushed past me, brushing me aside with an almost imperceptible push, a gesture that shattered my fragile composure.

Daddy turned around, his eyes meeting mine as he saw the tears glistening in my eyes. His voice softened, a hint of regret in his tone.

"Y/n, stop... Stop crying. It's okay."

Bucky took me by the arm, leading me to a nearby bench. As he tended to my wounded knee, his touch was a source of solace amidst the chaos, a silent reassurance that I wasn't completely alone.