Job

I woke up in a hospital bed. Machines were making noises. I looked next to me to see Tom. He was reading a newspaper. He was holding the newspaper up, covering his face. But i could tell it was him just by his smell.

"Tom?" I said weakly.

He quickly looked at me. He threw the newspaper in the air and got to his knees in front of the bed.

"Hey baby... how do you feel?" He said. His voice seemed weak also. His eyes looked tired.

"Im okay. Just in a little pain." I said.

"Thank god. I was so scared" he said relieved.

"Why are you doing this Tom?" I asked him all confused with an exhausted look.

"Im so sorry." He said.

"No Tom... tell me why? What have I've done to you?" I asked in a cracking voice.

"Nothing honey. It's all my fault." He said. A tear sliding down his cheek.

"Promise me that you won't hurt me again. I'm so tired of this." I said.

"You have my word baby." He said and kissed my hand.

"I don't know if I can trust you anymore Tom." I said while holding back tears.

"I know baby... I know." He said.

A doctor came into the room.

"Welcome back Gia." The doctor said.

"Hi." I said smiling.

"How are you feeling?" The doctor asked me.

"Okay i guess. My leg just hurts a bit" I said.

"Well I'm happy to hear that. In a month your leg will be completely healed." The doctor said.

"So you are telling us that she has to stay here for a month?" Tom snapped at the doctor.

"No mister Müller. You guys can leave whenever you want... we dont want any more fights or bullets in here" The doctor said clearly scared by what happened here the last time.

"Good." Tom said annoyed.

Tom took off all the shit that they had plugged in me and picked me up in his arms.

"Open the door!" Tom shouted at the doctor.

The doctor opened the door and we left the hospital.

On our way back home Tom seemed nervous. His knuckles were red and sore like he had just fought someone. 

"What happened?" I asked looking at his knuckles.

"Oh this? Nah... nothing much. I had to go to a meeting with the gang. You know how it is." Tom said.

"Again? I thought you were done with all this Tom!" I said annoyed.

"Done? Im not a gang member Gia. I'm the leader! I can't just be done with it! It's my job! This is how I keep the food on the table for you! If I give up we will both die! They will either kill us or we will starve to death!" He said.

"That's not a job Tom! Killing people is not a job!" I snapped.

"You don't know anything about what I do!" He said.

"Oh... I think I do!" I said.

"No Gia! You don't! You think it's easy? You think my job is easy? Well step in my shoes first and then talk to me about my job!" Tom snapped.

"I didn't say that!" I said.

"Leave it Gia! I don't want to fight!" Tom said.

I remained silent. I didn't want to fight either.

After 5 minutes Tom got a call.

"What? That son of a bitch! Im coming! Wait for me!" Tom snapped at the phone.

We immediately drifted in the middle of the road and started going back.

"What happened?" I asked confused.

"My guy just found out that one of the gang members is getting paid by our enemies to snitch on us!" Tom snapped. 

He seemed so angry. His face expressions were scary. He even scared me.

"What will you do now?" I asked.

"Business" Tom said.