30 - CHANBAEK: Of Eyes and Ears

Title: Of Eyes and Ears
Pairing: Chanyeol/Baekhyun
Rating: G
Genre: Fluff, Friendship, Kindergarten!au

Summary: Baekhyun wants to be Chanyeol's friend.

*

Baekhyun was five when he met Chanyeol. Chanyeol was playing with the sand on the sandbox at the kindergarten playground, shoveling it with his plastic spade as he poured it to his plastic pail. Baekhyun approached him that time with a bright smile across his face, asking Chanyeol if they could build little sand castles together. Chanyeol scrunched his face cutely as he watched the boy with interest, he took note of how this boy's eyes were little but shiny, and how his lips were pink as he talked. Baekhyun pointed at the sand, and Chanyeol followed his finger with his eyes. He then nodded, a little bit shy and happy, sharing his toy spade to Baekhyun as he clasped the sand with his chubby palms.

"What's your name?" little Baekhyun asked, thrusting the spade into a mountain of sand in front of him. "I'm Baekhyun, and you are?"

Chanyeol turned to Baekhyun, his eyes big with curiosity. He stared at the boy's small fringe on top of his forehead which was slightly covering his eyes. Baekhyun huffed air to blow his hair to his face, his lower lip jutting out. Chanyeol smiled, mimicking what Baekhyun just did. He also huffed air, but his hair wouldn't fly off, it was too short for his breath to reach his bangs. He frowned.

"You're copying me," Baekhyun said with a playful pout, his voice small. Chanyeol tilted his head to the right, wondering if the boy in front of him was getting mad, Chanyeol's lips were curved downward. Baekhyun frowned as well, crossing his short arms over his chest. Chanyeol also did what Baekhyun did, crossing his arms over his chest in front of Baekhyun.

"You're really copying me," Baekhyun said, smiling widely at Chanyeol. Chanyeol smiled, too, seeing Baekhyun's pretty mouth curve upward into a smile.

"Do you want to be my friend?" Baekhyun asked while smiling, stretching his arm to Chanyeol. Scrunching his face again, Chanyeol's eyes followed Baekhyun's hand up to his arm, his hand was pretty and his skin looked so smooth. Chanyeol contemplated whether it's okay if he could touch the hand before him, or he would just look at it.

"You don't want to shake my hand?" Baekhyun asked, looking at Chanyeol who's just staring at his outstretched hand. He sighed, dropping his hand to his side, making Chanyeol to open his mouth to say something but Baekhyun beat him to it.

"You're shy, aren't you?"

"Chanyeol!" a woman's voice called, making Baekhyun to shoot his head up. He saw a beautiful woman approaching them, smiling at Chanyeol as he patted the boy's cheek. Chanyeol then turned his head, and he smiled, recognizing it was his mother he's been waiting for.

"Is Chanyeol his name?" Baekhyun asked the woman who's carrying Chanyeol in her arms, hugging his son protectively.

"Yes, his name is Chanyeol," the woman said, smiling down at Baekhyun. "And you are?'

"I'm Baekhyun!" Baekhyun said enthusiastically, his feet springing to the ground. "I'm five!"

"Chanyeol is five, too. You're of the same age," Chanyeol's mother said, patting Baekhyun's hair. Chanyeol wanted to pat Baekhyun's hair, too. He wanted to feel how soft it would be against his palm.

"Can we play together?" Baekhyun asked, his eyes looking hopeful at Chanyeol's mother. He pouted, turning his eyes to Chanyeol who's looking down at him as well. "I want to be his friend."