eight

Haechan spent the whole day with his cousin from going to Lotte World and eating at their favorite restaurant. Now they were at a bar because Haechan wanted to drink. Lucky for him, Jena wasn't much of a drinker so he was ordering as much as he wanted.

The problem was, Haechan's drunk state was not ideal to Jena.

"Haechan why are you drinking so much? You're usually not upset." Jena was worried for her cousin since he was on his 8th shot already. Personally, she didn't even know his tolerance.

"I hate Na Jaein so much." Haechan took another shot of alcohol and aggressively putting the shot glass down on the table. "Why did she have to come back into my life?"

"You're being unclear on what you want. You've only told me that you guys were friends in high school and haven't seen each other in two years and now you guys act like you don't know each other." Jena tried to read her cousin's mind but she only sees him slowly closing his eyes.

"She stayed at my place the other night." Haechan blurred out taking another shot of alcohol.

"What?! And you're gate keeping me from her? What's wrong with you?" Jena asked sarcastically but also she knew this was time for Haechan to stop drinking. She pulled the alcohol bottle and shot glass away from Haechan. "That's enough for you tonight."

"She's the one that stopped-" Haechan passed out on the table and Jena knew where to carry the guy out.

-

Jeno came home from the grocery shop and the convenient store. He gave Jaein the snacks she bought and at the same time she got a call from Jaemin indicating he was here.

Jeno escorted Jaein down and she left with Jaemin, getting back home safely. He returned to his apartment, finishing the night on his own until he heard a knock from the door. He became curious and wondered who would knock at this hour. He also realized Haechan wasn't home.

Once he made it to the front door, he was in shock with his cousin Haechan completely wasted and next to him was his sister Jena who was trying to hold him up.

"Haechan..." Jena breathed out. "I've never seen him so drunk." Jena and Jeno helped a passed out Haechan back to his bed.

"What did he tell you?" Jeno asked his sister while coving the duvet over Haechan.

"He went on and on about a girl named Jaein...." Jena answered her brother's question. "Can I stay for the night? Just to make sure he's okay?"

"Yeah, just make sure to tell that boyfriend of yours." Jeno winked at his older sister.

"If anything I'll make Doyoung come for the night so that he doesn't act all sulky and jealous."

-

Jaein went to school the next day alongside her older brother Jaemin. Jaemin had mentioned to her that he will never be drinking again and he was sorry for leaving her. Honestly, she liked the change of atmosphere when she stayed at Jeno and Haechan's apartment.

"So... I heard that Chenle had to beat up a bitch." Erin wrapped her arm around Jaein who looked at her attentively. "Are you alright now? Do I need to beat up Nayeon even more."

Jaein chuckled at Erin who was scrunching her nose, looking like she was going to pick up a fight. "Nope. I'll let you know if anything happens regards to her."

"Good." Erin winked at the girl before leaving. "Mark is calling for me, I'll catch you later." Erin waved at Jaein and left.

On the way to Jaein's first class, she met up with Jeno who looked like he didn't get too much sleep last night. She walked up to him and approached him.

"You look tired." Jaein spoke to Jeno in concern.

"Haechan came home drunk last night so had to stay up and take care of him since he woke up and didn't sober for a while." Jeno responded to Jaein. He yawned and covered his mouth.

"Oh." Jaein laced her hands together, coming up with a thought. "Would it be okay for me to come check up on him after school?"

Jeno's lips formed into a smile. "Sure, but make sure you ask Jaemin." Jeno ruffled the younger one's hair. "Jaemin always makes sure that all of us takes care of you or else we're essentially dead meat."

"Okay!" Jaein smiled in excitement. This was the first time that Jaein smiled in a long time and it was great that she was making progress. "I'll see you after school!"

-

Jaein, Jeno, and Jaemin were at Jeno's shared apartment with Haechan. Jeno and Jaemin made Haechan some food and had their boy talk while Jaein just sat in the corner of the room where his desk was on his chair. Oddly, Jaemin and Jeno left the room leaving with Haechan and Jaein alone.

Jaein looked at Haechan who sat across her on his bed while she was still sitting on his chair of his desk. Her hands laced together as she slowly came up with the words to say.

"Are you okay?"

Haechan looked at her attentively, seeing the differences in her actions compared to high school. It was odd, but he didn't question it. At the same time it still doesn't change their bitter past.

"Yeah, I'm okay." Haechan spoke blandly taking off eye contact with the girl. "I'm surprised that you're even here."

Jaein scrunched her nose, wondering if she was supposed to be offended. He didn't give her a warm welcome, just a bland expression. "I just wanted to make sure you were okay. I heard what happened from Jeno."

"Of course you did." Haechan bored his eyes into Jaein, giving her the chills that were going down her back. "If he didn't tell you anything, you would've never known. Is that all you wanted to say to me?"

Jaein gulped, being unable to maintain eye contact with him. Questions spurred into her mind about the other day where he didn't want to associate with her.

And the main problem is now is Jaein trying to process why they broke up. She was a great person of memory of the past but now her life with him was a blur to her after spending many days in the hospital.

"You've been spacing out for a while now." Haechan spoke again sighing at the girl. "If you have nothing to talk about to me-"

"What... what did I do wrong?" Jaein raised her voice and blurred out her inner thoughts. It took her so long to be able to speak and her eyes were quivering and she didn't know if she was going to burst some tears. Her breathing became unsteady but quickly slowed down when she realized her environment.

"What?" Haechan looked at her confused, narrowing her eyebrows. He was quite agitated with her but the way she suddenly blurred out was definitely not the way she would've said in the past.

It seemed more genuine. But could Haechan tell? Absolutely not sure at all.

"Are you being dumb on purpose or do you really not know the reason why we drifted Jaein?" Haechan's tone grew even more serious and it made Jaein the most nervous person in the world.

The door opened suddenly revealing Jaemin who looked at his sister and Haechan and he knew something wasn't good.

"What the hell did you say?"