nine

"Jaemin, leave us alone." Haechan tried to get up from his bed but Jaemin pushed him down.,

"No you're not getting up because you're still hung over and I swear did you make my sister cry?" Jaemin interrogated Haechan.

"Why on earth would I-" Haechan was interrupted when Jaemin motioned that the girl was having her head hung low, indicating she might be. "Jaemin, this doesn't fucking help if you don't tell me what the hell is going on with her. I've never seen her so.... different." Haechan gritted his teeth, suppressing his anger.

"He didn't make me cry." Jaein looked up to Jaemin and spoke softly to him. "It's just my head that's all."

Jaemin sighed as he took his leave to go back to hanging out with Jeno in his room. He took one last glance at Haechan.

"Please, don't hurt her, for my own sake."

-

Haechan ran down his whole storyline of how him and Jaein were together in high school and how they broke up in college. Didn't want to mention their lives after that since it wasn't relevant. But it shocked Jaein so much that she was an asshole to him.

"Haechan I'm really sorry, I wish I would've listened or know sooner." Jaein groaned as she genuinely felt bad, trying to compose the words to make him feel better. "You didn't deserve it."

"It doesn't matter now Jaein. I don't really care." Haechan spoke coldly against her and by now Jaein was used to his cold treatment against her. "I hope you understand why I don't talk to you."

Jaein simply nodded, feeling a bit hurt about her younger self acting towards that way to Haechan but honestly she deserved it.

Jaemin called her name and she got up from the chair from Haechan's room and slowly walked away without saying bye to him. After all she was only here to check up on him after he was extremely hungover.

"It's okay I deserved it anyways." Jaein lowly spoke as she closed the door to Haechan's room and took her leave with Jaemin.

What Jaein didn't know was that Haechan heard her whisper loud and clear. And he didn't even know how to react. He was utterly shocked on her choice of speech.

Was this the Na Jaein he knew?

-

"Why do you look like a ghost?" Jeno sat at the dinner table with Haechan. He watched his cousin stabbing his food and playing with it, taking bites from time to time.

"It's nothing." Haechan shrugged off his thoughts about Jaein, something he would have to interrogate Jaemin at a later time. He needed to prioritize getting his senior year together hence graduating soon. "Why are you even staring at me eating anyways, weirdo."

Jeno let out a scoff, laughing after. "Weirdo? Aren't you supposed to be the weirdo?"

"No." Haechan chomped on his food like a little kid, taking a bit.

"Also, I'm not dumb." Jeno's lips started fade from a smile. "Something happened between you and Jaein while Jaemin and I were figuring stuff out in my room."

"Gee thanks captain obvious." Haechan rolled his eyes, staring at his cousin. "There's things I don't know and no one is fucking telling me anything."

Jeno knew what Haechan was referring to, Jaein's condition. It was something he could not share, even Jaemin couldn't tell him. Somehow he got the word from the girl himself after a dinner with the Na family.

"It's not my business to say. You would have to hear it from Jaein yourself." Jeno lowly spoke to Haechan.

"And why is that?" Haechan turned his head to Jeno, waiting for answers.