fourteen

The photoshoot went fantastic. There was Hyunji hyping her boyfriend up from time to time. Jaein was taking all the pictures mainly because she wanted too. Hangyeol assisted her with lighting and making sure Jaein didn't fall when moving at different angles. Hyunji was the stylist where she would fix their hairs and honestly, the pictures turned out so well.

"This is really great for my class. Thank you so much guys." Jaein smiled as she looked through the pictures on her camera. The project was finally coming together and everyone went home.

-

"How was the doctor appointment?" Jaein came home with their mother and Jaemin sat on the couch.

"It was good, it's just weird that my freshmen year was a blur." Jaein shrugged, mainly because her doctor probably put something in her to make her forget it.

Jaemin knew why she didn't remember many things, it was just mainly a request to the doctor to help her forget those bad memories, no drugs, no injections, just simple talk.

"What makes you feel that?" Jaemin asked his sister who sat on the couch next to him while their mother made dinner.

"How do I not remember the fact that I was the one who hurt Haechan in our relationship. Like I remember dating him but breaking up was such a blur." Jaein sighed. "It's probably Nayeon, I didn't have great things with her. I must be hallucinating."

It's because we wanted to erase your time with Nayeon but sadly Haechan was part of the price too.

"Even if you do remember crystal clear, I don't want you to think about the past. Your preset and future is more important and it's up to you on how you want to structure it." Jaemin gave his sister a reassuring smile, patting her head.

"Thanks Jaemin." Jaein beamed a smile at him, engulfing him into a hug.

"Kids! Dinner is ready!"

-

2 weeks have passed by and the photography was all done and set. The group had gotten an A. Hyunji took Jaein out to lunch as a reward, with Hangyeol of course.

Jaein's interactions with Haechan are limited. She only glanced at him in class but he never spared a glance at her. She wasn't hurt by the fact mainly because she probably deserved what she did to him.

When she was walking to her class, someone bumped shoulders on her by accident. Turns out it was a panting Jeno who was holding a lunchbox and his other arm on his thigh, catching his breath.

"Can you give this to Haechan?" Jeno passed the lunchbox to Jaein. "I've got to go to my class and it's at the other side of the school."

"Yeah, sure." Jaein took the lunchbox from Jeno without question and went to her class so that Jeno could go to his.

Jaein walked into class and saw Haechan and Renjun on the back. It was odd because they sat next to each other but didn't trade the conversation as usual. She didn't think about it too much and took a seat at the front of the class.

After class, Jaein packed her belongings and watched Haechan bolt outside of the classroom. Frustrated, Jaein went out of the classroom trying to see if she can follow him.

"Renjun, do you know where Haechan would be going?" Jaein asked Renjun when she was able to bump paths to him.

"He's probably going to the library to study since he usually waits for Jeno to go home." Renjun gave her a simple response.

"Okay. Thank you! Just needed to give him his lunch that Jeno told me to give." Jaein smiled at Renjun and waved a goodbye to him, making sure she had Haechan on her foot.

Renjun watched Jaein from far away, seeing how she is looking for Haechan. He sighed with such disappointment accepting that it's meant to be. "I wish I treated you better, but I think that you are fated to him."

The hallways were busy and Jaein was clutching onto the lunchbox, once the students became less and less, Haechan stopped walking, meters away from her who was behind him. Haechan didn't even notice her following him.

What shocked Jaein the most was that he suddenly lost consciousness.

"Haechan!"

-

Jaein was sitting on the chair at the infirmary next to Haechan while Haechan was sitting on the infirmary bed. The nurse said he fainted due to not having enough food in his body. What was sad was that Jaein was holding onto that lunchbox so tightly full of his food from Jeno.

Jaein heard someone panting against the door and he slowly invited himself in. The first expression he had was devastation.

"Really Haechan? Were you that angry for that long?" Mark caught his breath and his voice was in extreme concern. Jaein had texted Mark since Jeno wasn't able to pick up his phone.

"What do you mean angry?" Jaein scrunched her nose and looked at Haechan at the same time. Her hand patted his but let go quickly to realize what she's doing.

"Whenever Haechan is extremely angry, he just withdraws himself from the real world including not getting nutrition." Mark looked at the lunchbox Jaein was holding, recognizing it. "Assuming that's from Jena?"

"Who's Jena?" Jaein has heard that name before from Haechan, thinking it could've been some girl that he was talking to. She felt a pang of jealousy.

"His cousin. You might know her as Jeno's older sister." Mark replied.

"Wait...? Since when did Jeno have a sister? All this time I knew Jeno he was an only child?" Jaein covered her mouth, unbelievable with the news since Jeno was persistent about being an only child.

"Very long story, but Jena just came back to Korea a few years ago after all their family fiasco." Mark answered her question. "Anyways, do you mind staying here until he wakes up?"

"Yeah." Jaein watched Mark grab a wet towel, dabbing it with water at the sink nearby and then replacing the old towel with the freshly new one.

"Thank you." Mark washed his hands and prepared to go. "I'll just let Jeno know about this and Jaemin that you're here with him." Jaein nodded indicating that she understood his message.

There was a moment of silence where Jaein and Mark were looking at the unconscious Haechan sleeping. Jaein didn't know what got into her but she had the courage to speak up.

"Mark?" Jaein called out to him while he was in the middle of leaving. "May I ask you a huge question?"

"Yeah?" Mark turned back to Jaein.

"When did Haechan develop this? Like where he gets angry and withdraws himself?" Jaein spoke softly, worry in her eyes.

Mark took a deep breath and looked at the two ex-lovers with all of his mixed emotions, he couldn't tell if it was pain or happiness. He also didn't know if fate was on their side.

"It was after you guys broke up."