sixteen

Jeno, Haechan, and Jaein arrived to the Sun and Moon Cafe.

Jaein had met the infamous Alice and Jaehyun couple for the first time and reunited with Jungwoo, who is now single, Yuta, Johnny, and the owners, Taeil and Haerin.

Jaemin's group of friends were also at the cafe for some reason but Jaein didn't mind cause she just sat next to Hyunji who was sitting with Jeno but also watched Haechan catch up with his older brother, Taeyong.

A couple walked through the door and the man raised the wife's hand up indicating that they were engaged.

"So Jena and I are engaged." Doyoung announced for all of their friends to hear at the cafe. "And that's why I called all of you here."

"Wedding invitations will be coming out soon!" Jena cheered and everyone went wild. Jaein watched Jeno walk up to his sister giving him a hug while her brother Jaemin sat next to her and gave her a big hug.

"That's Jeno's sister, Jena." Jaemin pointed out to the two siblings. "So they're also the cousins of Mark, Haechan, and Taeyong."

"They have a very big lineage of family members." Jaein commented leaning against Jaemin's shoulders.

"I mean, they come from filthy rich families." Jaemin shrugged. "But I'm glad they chose their friends based on background and not how much money you have you know?"

"Yeah, that's very kind of them." Jaein complimented grabbing her fork and eating the cake that Haein passed to her earlier.

The Na's siblings' conversation ended when Haechan and Jena approached them.

"You may remember Jaemin." Haechan gestured Jaemin and the two traded their waves. Then he gestured to Jaein. "And this is Jaemin's younger sister, Jaein."

"It's really nice to meet you!" Jena reached out for a handshake with Jaein and Jaein took is. "You're so beautiful. No wonder why you and Jaemin look so alike. Two visual siblings, literally."

"Thank you." Jaein shyly said to Jena and Jena gave a nod.

"Of course I knew that." Jaemin pretended to flip his nonexistent long hair, making everyone laugh.

"She's really nice Haechan. I think she's also coming from a difficult situation based on my observations. Take it easy." Jena whispered to Haechan and he punched her arm lightly, not watching to touch the topic in front of Jaein herself.

"Damn that hurt." Jena pouted at Haechan and he rolled his eyes, lips forming into a smile.

Jaein saw the encounter between the two cousins and she saw that Haechan was smiling, something he barely does. She hoped he could smile more often.

Jaein then decided to spend the rest of her time with the girls: Hyunji, Erin, Alice, and Jena for the rest of the day at the cafe and went back home with Jaemin with a bright smile on her face, something that she has not done in a long time.

-

The weekend rolled around and Jaein was walking towards the lunch room after she was released from her class. She was suddenly greeted by Jisung pulling her into a corner attempting to hide himself behind her.

"Jaein, please please... just hide me...." Jisung trembled holding her arm as he looked like he was about to burst in tears.

"Wait why?" Jaein was so confused until a man stood in front of them. Jaein looked up at him and froze.

Kim Youngbin, the man who Nayeon used to take advantage of her. Flashbacks couldn't even process in Jaein's mind, what was more important was protecting Jisung.

"Why are you chasing Jisung down as if you're trying to beat him up? Are you trying to bully him? Kill him?" Jaein's soft spoken voice raised towards the halls earning some glares.

"Move Jaein, you can't even defend yourself anyways." Youngbin tried to push her aside but she stood her ground and randomly stepped on his foot hard, earning an ow from that guy. "He didn't let me copy his homework."

"Jaein you don't have to-" Jisung tried to pull her back but Jaein stood firm and still.

"And that's why you're chasing him down? Man you must be putting in so much effort to make him lose his love over some mere homework. Do it yourself stupid head." Jaein rolled her eyes, looking away.

"Fuck you." Youngbin raised his hand as he was about to slap her. Jisung couldn't process what was going on so he couldn't stop her.

Jaein was ready to be slapped but then she never got the slap. She opened her eyes and saw a hand grabbed onto Youngbin's wrist firmly.

"What the hell do you want Lee Haechan?" Youngbin turned to the right seeing that the Lee Haechan tightened the grip on Youngbin's wrist, giving him the most deadly glare.

"Didn't know you had the balls to slap a girl." Haechan yanked Youngbin's wrist and used that force to push him against the lockers.

"Don't mess with my friends again." Haechan bitterly made his last remark.

"Oops sorry." Chenle splashed his water bottle at Youngbin and making his way around to his friends. "I tripped."

Jaemin came rushing to his two children who were bullied by Youngbin, proud that his sister face his fear but paid more attention to Jisung since he was practically a ghost and looked like he was going to burst into tears.

Jaein stood still, knowing that Jaemin asked her if she was alright and everything big knows that he always has a soft spot for Jisung.

On the other hand, Haechan came over to the girl who stood still, looking mindlessly at the hallways and putting his arm on his back. "You okay?"

Jaein blinked a couple of times, getting back on track on her day. "Yeah." She took a deep breath. "Didn't know I was going to face him earlier than I thought."

"I wasn't going to let him hurt you." Haechan looked at Jaein with sincere eyes and she did the same, quickly looking away to see where she was going.

Jaein and Haechan came to an empty hallway and she turned herself towards Haechan, her expression became dull and she looked down, unable to contain the tears that were about to come out of her eyes.

"He.... Kim Youngbin.... he was the one who..... to-took advantage... of me." Jaein bursted into tears and Haechan engulfed her into a hug right away. His eyes widened slightly hearing the tragedy from Jaein. He himself felt like his heart was going to burst at any moment.

He didn't know how to feel. Angry? Hurt? Frustrated? But what matter to him more was being there for Jaein's presence.

Haechan was holding Jaein closer to him, rubbing his hand on her back in circles, slowly attempting to help her calm down and slow down her tears. Jaein on the other hand was a hot mess, grabbing onto Haechan's shirt but also embraced him back into a tight hug. She was staining her tears on him but neither of them cared.

He finally understood what she's going through and he also understood why she completely changed as a person.

"It's okay Jaein, you're safe with me now. I promise."