Lights Out

The rain had stopped like Yunho said, everyone heading out of the library and towards the car. Hongjoong had stayed inside to make sure that no one slashed the tire. It was a five minute walk but it only took a couple seconds to slash a tire. Seonghwa had stayed with him to make sure the demon guy wouldn't do anything. It only took a couple of seconds to kill a demon too.

"You didn't have to stay with me," Hongjoong said, looking at flights for tomorrow. There was no way they could get up early, drive back, get home, get ready, and then catch another flight or drive to AMJ and make it on time. And chances were they were driving. "You overthink too much Mr. -," Seonghwa began, going quiet when he remembered their kiss, Hongjoong looking up from his laptop screen. It felt like he was waiting for him to say Mr. Kim, his eye brows raised and his eyes inviting. The two made eye contact again, Seonghwa looking away first clearing his throat.

He reached for Hongjoong's drink, hoping it wasn't poisoned as he took a sip of it. "I guess I do," Hongjoong said, typing up his last email before sending it. He thought back to the letter looking up at Seonghwa again. He did want to know what he was hiding. "I'll leave first," Seonghwa said, not wanting Hongjoong to see him blush. Had he not enjoyed their kiss he would have pulled away. And had it not been for Hongjoong keeping secrets they would have been back together again. 

Seonghwa was about to get up when he gasped, Hongjoong's attention fully on him. "Is something wrong?" Hongjoong asked, two seconds away using his powers to strangle someone. He thought Seonghwa had seen a Warden or a demon or a threat but Seonghwa stayed perfectly still. Hongjoong gripped his laptop, his eyes turning a steady red. Seonghwa turned to look at him, staring into his soul. "We never properly broke up with each other," Seonghwa said, realizing they didn't formally break up. Not over letter, not in person, or in another form. So technically they were together. WHY DID HE SAY IT OUT LOUD!?!??!

"I don't have any intention of breaking up with my other half," Hongjoong admitted without hesitation. Seonghwa's eyes turned a dark blue, Hongjoong looking up in time to see it.Hongjoong felt stupid for trying to look for any signs of a gold color, going back to typing on his laptop. "Then why did you leave?" Seonghwa asked, his voice barely above a whisper. He saw how Jongho reacted this morning, addressing the issue right then and there. He should do the same. "Why is that so important to you?" Hongjoong asked, hoping Seonghwa wouldn't answer it. His angel had asked him that question a million times and each time he brushed it off in whatever way he could, yet he always asked it again.

"How could you ask me that?" Seonghwa said, making Hongjoong look up at him. Seonghwa didn't sound mad at all, he sounded hurt. "I spent centuries wondering if you were dead or if you were alive. Wondering if you were alone, wondering where you were, if you were eating well, if you were taking care of yourself. Wondering if you were with someone new, wondering if you left because you didn't love me anymore -" Seonghwa said, his eyes glued to Hongjoong's eyes.

"Loving you isn't something that's easy to stop once you start. No matter how much time passes," Hongjoong said, biting his tongue so he wouldn't say anything else. Hongjoong looked at Seonghwa's eyes, the dark blue coloring turning lighter. "It sure didn't feel like it when you got up out of nowhere and left," Seonghwa said, calmly his eyes telling the same story. Seonghwa got up, handing Hongjoong his coffee back. Hongjoong looked at him, Seonghwa putting on his hood as he walked away. Hongjoong reached out for Seonghwa's hand, holding it before Seonghwa opened the store door. Seonghwa looked down at their hands, looking up at Hongjoong.

Seonghwa's eyes grew wide, looking at Hongjoong's eyes that were now a pure golden color as he looked at him. What? Hongjoong pulled his hand away, handing Seonghwa an umbrella instead. He walked out into the rain on his own, without saying anything,  Seonghwa walking after him. "Hongjoong," Seonghwa said, holding the umbrella over Hongjoong's head.