1.2 | The Dwarven King

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

THE DOOR IS OPENED TO REVEAL THE DWARF PRINCE, Thorin Oakenshield with an unimpressed scowl upon his face; the eldest of the Dwarves within the home of Bilbo Baggins. "Gandalf. I thought you said this place would be easy to find. I lost my way, twice. Wouldn't have found it at all had it not been for that mark on the door," Thorin spoke roughly as he pulled his cloak from his body passing it off to one of the Dwarves.

"Mark? There's no mark on that door. It was painted a week ago!" Bilbo exclaimed but Maristela had seen the blue rune herself and knew her father was responsible. "There is a mark; I put it there myself," Gandalf replied to Bilbo before he continued, "Bilbo Baggins, allow me to introduce the leader of our company, Thorin Oakenshield." Maristela noticed the slight glint of anxiety in her father's eyes and knew he was worried.

"So, this is the Hobbit. Tell me, Mr. Baggins, have you done much fighting?" Thorin asked Bilbo who looked confused. "Pardon me?" Bilbo questioned but Thorin brushed it aside with another question, "Axe or sword? What's your weapon of choice?" Maristela pulled her own blade from her boot and began twisting it in her hands, She watched from the back of the room though she felt eyes on her.

"Well, I have some skill at Conkers, if you must know, but I fail to see why that's relevant," Bilbo replied to Thorin with furrowed brows, The response was clearly not what Thorin wanted to hear. "Thought as much. He looks more like a grocer than a burglar," Thorin said to Gandalf who wasn't happy with Thorin's words, nor was Bilbo who felt insulted by it. The Dwarves had laughed at their King's words before they all sat at the table again.

"What news from the meeting in Ered Luin? Did they all come?" Balin questioned his King with hopeful eyes. "Aye. Envoys from all seven kingdoms," Thorin answered him, The Dwarves all murmured their joy. "What do the Dwarves of the Iron Hills say? Is Dain with us?" Dwalin asked next, his body straightened awaiting the response of his King. "They will not come," Thorin informed him causing the Dwarves to deflate, they weren't expecting that.

"They say the quest is ours, and ours alone," Thorin added causing the Dwarves to murmur in disappointment, Maristela bowing her head knowing the importance of this. "You're going on a quest?" Bilbo asked with interest. "Bilbo, my dear fellow, let us have a little more light," Gandalf requested. Bilbo brings a candle to the table where Gandalf has spread out a map that had been resting safely in his pocket.

"Far to the East, over ranges and rivers, beyond woodlands and wastelands, lies a single solitary peak," Gandalf explained as Maristela let her eyes wander over the map, she recognized all of the places on it had seen her fair share of maps and despite being alive for a very long time, she had yet to see all of Middle Earth; the dangers too great of a risk, especially the Orcs and shadows.

"The Lonely Mountain," Bilbo read out, the Dwarves smiling fondly at the mention of the familiar Mountain that many hadn't been able to see due to being born after its fall to Smuag. "Aye. Óin has read the portents, and the portents say it is time," Glóin spoke up from where he sat. "Ravens have been seen flying back to the mountain as it was foretold: When the birds of yore return to Erebor, the reign of the beast will end," Óin announced.