3.4 | Lord Dáin Ironfoot

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

A RUMBLING IS HEARD IN THE DISTANCE AND MARISTELA LOOKS up to see the ridge being covered by troops of heavily armored Dwarves lead by a huge Dwarf riding a battle-pig. "Ironfoot," Gandalf breathed out in recognition of the Dwarf leading the army from the Iron Hills. The Erebor Dwarves begin cheering and screaming at the sight of Lord Dáin, Thorin's cousin. "Ribo i thrangail! (Rush the shield-fence!)" Thranduil ordered. Thranduil rides through his army as his Elves and the Lakepeople turn away from the gates of Erebor and begin marching quickly toward the oncoming Iron Hills Dwarves.

The two armies halt a short distance from one another and Dáin rides his pig onto a rocky overlook to address the Elves and Men. "Good morning! How are we all? I have a wee proposition, if you wouldn't mind giving me a few moments of your time. Would you consider... just sodding off!" Lord Dáin asked as the townspeople, clutching their weapons, step back in fear, while the Elves pull out their swords and step forward. "All of you ─ right now!" Lord Dáin added. "Stand fest!" Bard ordered the townspeople as Gandalf and Maristela stride forward together.

"Come now, Lord Dáin!" Gandalf called out while Maristela waved to the Iron Hills Dwarf Lord. "Gandalf the Grey, Maristela the Star. Tell this rabble to leave or I'll water the ground with their blood!" Lord Dáin asked in a faux polite tone. "There is no need for war between Dwarves, Men and Elves! A legion of Orcs march on the mountain. Stand your army down!" Gandalf called while Maristela turned to her father, he hadn't mentioned the Orc Army coming their way. "I will not stand down before any Elf! Not least this faithless Woodland sprite!" Lord Dáin replied to Gandalf making Thranduil angry with the insult.

"He wishes nothing but ill upon my people! If he chooses to stand between me and my kin ─ I'll split his pretty head open! See if he's still smirking then!" Lord Dáin threatened which only made Thranduil smile furiously while the Dwarves of Erebor cheered for their kin. "He's clearly mad, like his cousin!" Thranduil stated. "You hear that, lads!?" Lord Dáin turns to his army, "Come on! Let's give these bastards a good hammering." Maristela sighed knowing there was no getting through to either side as a Dwarf yells out a command and the Iron Hills Dwarves raise their weapons and cheer.

As both armies prepare to fight, a rumbling is heard at the base of a spur of the mountain. The armies grow silent as they turn to look, Maristela's heart pounds in her chest as she whispers, "Were-Worms!" At the spur of the mountain where the rumbling is coming from, massive worms, hundreds of feet long and dozens of feet thick, break through the rocks. Their mouths are essentially giant drilling machines, strong enough to crush the toughest rocks in their jaws. "The real war has begun," Maristela spoke as the worms retreated into the tunnels they'd made through the mountains.

As the mist clears, Azog the Defiler and a few other Orcs are seen standing atop a hill causing Maristela to tense up; Behind them are several massive contraptions made of wood, rope, and cloth, meant as a signalling device. As Azog gives the sign, one of the wooden structures opens up into a particular position and a horn sounds Immediately followed by legions of Orcs pouring out of the were-worm tunnels. "The hordes of hell are upon us! To battle! To battle, sons of Durin!" Lord Dáin calls before he and a part of his army rush the oncoming Orcs, Maristela pulled her sword free.