4.7 | Balin's Tomb

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

The Fellowship were nervously waiting while Gandalf sat, staring intently at the three tunnel mouths in front of him; He appeared to be in some kind of trance. Frodo turns at the sound of a faint noise down the tunnel behind them, furrowing his brows at the presence he feels but uncertain about who or what it could be. "Are we lost?" Pippin voiced with worry. "No. I don't think we are," Merry replies, "Shhh, Gandalf's thinking." Maristela looked up at the two Hobbits, a lot of their actions reminded her greatly of Kili and Fili; Admittedly, she had looked back at them a few times and had to blink to see the Hobbits, rather than the Dwarves.

"You look like you've seen a ghost," Boromir expressed to Maristela. "You know of the journey of Erebor, correct?" Maristela asked the Man of Gondor. "Yes, I have. You joined a Company of Dwarves and were even courted to one," Boromir replied to her with a soft sympathetic smile on his face. "Yes, well, my dear Fili had a brother named Kili... they were twins. Merry and Pippin act very similar to them and it just..." Maristela trailed off as she turned her gaze from the mentioned Hobbits to Boromir as he spoke, "Took you back to a simpler time in your life." Maristela nodded at Boromir's words, "Exactly. It's actually... sweet. They would have adored Merry and Pippin."

"Merry!" Pippin exclaimed to his best friend. "What?" Merry questioned him. "I'm hungry," Pippin whined making Maristela laugh to herself. "Yeah, they are definitely like the twins," Maristela said before noticing Frodo's attention elsewhere. Frodo catches a sudden glimpse of a creature darting in the darkness, the Ring-bearer is nervous as he approaches Gandalf and Maristela who had joined her father's side. "There's something down there," Frodo whispered to the father and daughter duo. "It's Gollum," Gandalf informed him. "Gollum!" Frodo exclaimed softly. "He's been following us for three days," Maristela said with a sigh.

"He escaped the dungeons of Barad-dur?" Frodo asked the two. "Escaped... Or was set loose. And now the Ring has drawn him here. He will never be rid of his need for it," Gandalf expressed to Frodo before Maristela continued, "He hates and loves the ring, as he hates and loves himself. Smeagol's life is a sad story." Frodo is shocked by the new name he has learned, Gandalf catches Frodo's look of surprise. "Yes, Smeagol. He was once called... before the ring came to him, before it drove him mad," Gandalf informed Frodo. Gollum's withered fingers are gripping the cave wall as he watches the Fellowship from the shadows, his only desire being that golden ring.

"It's a pity Bilbo didn't kill him when he had the chance," Frodo told the two grimly. "Pity?" Gandalf echoed before continuing, "It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve to death and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo?" Maristela looked down at her father's words, she had heard this at a young age. "Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement, even the very wise cannot see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet -- for good or ill -- before this is over. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many," Gandalf expresses to Frodo.