3.5 | To The King!

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

THORIN WALKS THROUGH THE HALL IN WHICH HE TRIED to drown Smaug; the entire floor is covered in gold a few feet deep. In his head, he hears many of the words he spoke or were spoken to him earlier. "You sit here... with a crown upon your head... you are lesser now than you have ever been..." Dwalin's words echo with disappointment. "...But a treasure such as this cannot be counted in lives lost..." His own words echoed harshly. "...A sickness lies upon that treasure..." Balin's words struck a string in Thorin's mind followed by Bard's words, "...The blind ambition of a mountain-king..."

Thorin paced over the gold as his words echoed back to him, "...AM I NOT THE KING... this gold... is ours... and ours alone..." More and more echoes from Balin and Bard alike bounced within his mind almost as though it were echoing through the very hall he stood within. "...I truly believed you were stronger than this, my friend...I am trying to help you but you are refusing to acknowledge it..." Maristela's words screamed within his mind followed by Bilbo's, "...you are changed, Thorin...is this treasure truly worth more than your honor..." Thorin grips his head painfully as the voices of those he cared for echoed like screeching birds.

"...I am not my grandfather..." Thorin muttered as Maristela's voice echoed again, "...You were my King but that disappeared with your greed, hunger, and desire..." He shook his head as his eyes locked on the gold below him, "...I am not my grandfather..." The voices suddenly stop and Thorin focuses on the gold below him and sees the shadowy shape of Smaug sliding beneath the gold. "...this treasure will be your death..." Gandalf's words of warning further the King's panic. Thorin screams as the gold beneath him turns into a sinkhole and he begins drowning surrounded by gold. An echo of Maristela's voice hit him as he tries to escape, "...Smaug is your predecessor and you will be Erebor's fall..."

As he disappears beneath the gold, his imagination ends revealing that he is safely standing on the golden court. He yanks off his crown and throws it to the floor, finally, he had come to his senses and guilt floods his mind as he thinks of Maristela, Bilbo, and his kin. He takes a deep breath before removing the large coat from his shoulders and with one last glance around the room, he turns and makes his way out, he wasn't going to sit upon a throne earned by the bloodshed of his kin. He wanted a throne he earned, he would fight not just for his home but for the townspeople too.

The Dwarves of the Company sit desolately, hearing the cries of battle outside but unable to help their kin; Bilbo had already snuck off in search of Gandalf or Maristela. They rise as they see Thorin approaching from further in the mountain, sword drawn; He is no longer dressed in his royal robes and arbor, but in a simple leather outfit. "I will not hide behind a wall of stone while others fight our battles for us!" Kíli snaps at his uncle, standing from where he had been sitting, approaching Thorin as he continued, "It is not in my blood, Thorin!"