2.2 | Mirkwood Spiders

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

SAYING FAREWELL TO BEORN WAS A TEARFUL ONE FOR MARISTELA and the Skin-changer had to push her towards Fíli's horse knowing she wouldn't leave willingly; and through he was sad to see her go, he knew she was too important to the Company to stay longer by his side. The Company rides rapidly across the land, slowing to a stop as they approach a looming, gloomy-looking forest. Gandalf dismounts and walks into the edge of the forest through an ancient archway, Maristela soon follows behind him instantly picking up on the dark energy in the trees.

"The Elven Gate," Gandalf breathed out before turning to the Company, "Here lies our path through Mirkwood." Maristela placed her hand lightly on the closest tree before whispering in Elvish, "My dear tree, darkness flows through you but fear not, you will be free." Maristela's ring shone for a moment as the Elleth focused her energy on the tree until a voice echoed within her mind, "Your powers are strong but you will cannot survive." Galadriel's melodic voice warned prompting Maristela to lower her hand, the Lady was right and the Elleth knew that.

"Set the ponies loose. Let them return to Beorn," Maristela instructed the Company as she noticed her fathers far-off look. "This forest feels... sick, as if a disease lies upon it. Is there no way around?" Bilbo asked Gandalf. "Not unless we go two hundred miles north, or twice that distance south," Gandalf answered him, Maristela nodded in agreement. Gandalf follows a path a few feet further into the shadows and approaches a plant-covered statue with Maristela watching his every step as she tried to ignore the sickness that lies within the forest of Mirkwood.

At the same time, Bilbo, who is standing by himself, reaches into his pocket and, after some internal conflict, slowly pulls out the Ring and fingers it. Maristela took notice of the new presence of dark aura, she furrowed her brows and turned her head to Bilbo before noticing the ring in between his fingers. Her own ring tingled around her finger, alarm bells ringing in her head like a warning to stay away from the Ring causing Maristela to feel anxious and uncertain about the ring within Bilbo's grasp. "Not my horse! I need it," Gandalf exclaimed pulling Maristela from her spiraling fear.

"You're not leaving us?" Bilbo asked with wide eyes while Maristela walked towards her father as he approached his horse. "I would not do this unless I had to," Gandalf told him with certainty, he glanced at Thorin before looking back at a dejected Bilbo. "You've changed, Bilbo Baggins. You're not the same Hobbit as the one who left the Shire," Gandalf pointed out with Maristela agreeing with his words, the presence of the Ring within her thoughts. "I was going to tell you; I... found something in the Goblin tunnels," Bilbo responded cautiously, Gandalf leaned forward curiously and suspiciously.

"What did you find?" Gandalf pressed on, Bilbo stays silent for several more seconds before responding, "My courage." Maristela let out a breath, she wasn't sure how she felt about the presence of the ring but knew they could only deal with one thing at a time. "Good. Well, that's good. You'll need it," Gandalf told Bilbo before turning to Thorin with a stern look, "I'll be waiting for you at the overlook before the slopes of Erebor. Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me." Maristela felt uneasy as her father climbed upon his horse.