3.8 | Goodbye Erebor

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

LORD DÁIN, AS THE LAST WITHIN THE LINE OF DURIN, TOOK the throne of Erebor upon Gandalf's request. The Kingdom had a lot of work to be done but for the day, it was time for mourning the loss of Thorin Oakenshield and his nephews, Fíli and Kìli. Maristela stood in the room that Fíli had presented the courting bead to her, she swallowed carefully before moving towards her belongings. She sifted through it all and packed it together in preparation to leave Erebor, she couldn't stay without Fíli by her side alive and well.

"You'll be leaving then?" Bofur's voice caught her attention, she turned to him with a frown as he tried to smile. "Yes. I cannot stay here, without him..." Maristela replied as she finished packing her bag, she adjusted her sword and ensured her sheath. "We understand, Mari. It is just sad to see you go," Bofur assured her as she pulled the bag over her shoulders, she looked at Bofur who had tears within his eyes. "It's not going to be goodbye forever, Bofur. We will meet again," Maristela told him as she walked towards him, he smiled and hugged her.

"Meeting you was a blessing, Maristela Greyhame," Bofur spoke as he stepped back, the two made their way through the halls where many Dwarves wandered about admiring the mountain that had been reclaimed. "Mari!" Ori's voice pulled her attention, he rushed away from Nori and Dori, hugging Maristela. "Please don't leave," Ori begged, he had already witnessed so much loss. "It is no longer my place here, Ori. Erebor must thrive under the ruling of Dáin and I must return to Rivendell," Maristela expressed to the young Dwarf, she fought back the tears as the sight of his saddened expression.

In the meantime, Bilbo and Balin walk out of the gates of Erebor; Bilbo is wearing his pack and is prepared to leave. "There is to be a great feast tonight. Songs will be sung, tales will be told and Thorin Oakenshield will pass into legend," Balin tries to persuade him to stay. "I know that's how you must honor him, but to me he was never that ─ he was... to me... he was..." Bilbo is unable to find the words and Balin smiles in fondness and sadness. "Well, I think I'll slip quietly away. Will you tell the others I said goodbye?" Bilbo asked. "You can tell 'em yourself," Balin tells him.

Bilbo looks back to see the Dwarves standing in a line, Maristela leaning against the wall with a soft smile on her face. "If any of you are ever passing Bag End, tea is at four ─ there's plenty of it. You are welcome anytime," Bilbo tells the Dwarves, they bow to him and he smiles. He begins to turn away then turns back, "Eh, don't bother knocking." The Dwarves chuckle before looking up at Maristela. "Well, this is goodbye," Maristela spoke surprising Bilbo, he hadn't expected her to leave so soon. "I know you aren't fans of Rivendell, but know you are most welcome," Maristela told them.

Maristela bows to the Dwarves, her fist against her chest as she spoke in Dwarvish, "May the Valar bless your journeys. May we meet again." The Dwarves bowed their heads to Maristela, some wiping tears from their eyes. Bilbo and Maristela move towards Gandalf who is waiting with a horse, pony, and Attica. "Oh! Mari!" Balin called gaining her attention, she turned to him and furrowed her brows. "Take this. I believe Thorin wished to return them," Balin spoke handing Maristela the White Gems of Lasgalen, she smiled softly and carefully placed them in her pouch, she could return them on her way.

"And here," Balin held out a dagger that had small carvings of stars and a wolfhound, she turned it over to see hers and Fíli's names written in the metal in Dwarvish. "Fíli had made it during the time we were in the halls, he was going to present it to you as a gift of engagement," Balin explained softly, he watched as tears formed within her eyes. "Thank you, Balin," Maristela sniffled before placing the dagger in her spare sheath. "Should you ever need me, Balin, I'll be there," Maristela assured him before embracing him, tears falling from both of their eyes.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

Gandalf, Bilbo, and Maristela wander through the scenery towards The Shire; Maristela had agreed to accompany them back to Bag End. Weeks had passed and they had reached the borders of the Woodland Realm, Maristela agreed to head in alone while Gandalf and Bilbo spent time with Beorn. Upon Attica's back, Maristela makes her way down the familiar bridge of the Woodland Realm bowing her head to the guards who let her by until she is stopped. "What is the purpose of your visit?" An Elf asked Maristela who dropped from Attica's back.

"I wish to speak with King Thranduil regarding something of importance," Maristela told the Elf who seemed uncertain but proceeded to inform the King of the visitor, he soon came back and allowed her to follow him. "Maristela Greyhame, Lady of Stars, to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?" King Thranduil asked from his throne, he had taken a moment to speak with her before he would continue tending the losses of his people. "King Thranduil, I am here on behalf of Thorin, despite his passing, who wished to return something of your desire back to you," Maristela replied to him.

King Thranduil perked up at that, he stood from his throne as Maristela pulled the gems from her pouch and delicately held the item out to him. "The White Gems of Lasgalen..." King Thranduil breathed out, he reached out and grabbed the necklace from her hands. "Thorin may not be able to hand them over himself, but it is something he wanted you to have once he broke free from the sickness," Maristela expressed with a bow of her head. "I appreciate it's return... And my sincerest condolences for your losses," King Thranduil replied to her.

"And I to your own losses. I must be going as my father and Bilbo are waiting for me," Maristela bowed her head and turned to leave the room. "I am sorry for your loss," King Thranduil spoke in emphasis regarding Fíli's death. "Will it hurt forever?" Maristela asked without looking at Thranduil. "No. But it will always be something that weighs down on your heart," Thranduil answered before asking the question he wished to know, "Did you love him?" Maristela took in a steady breath as she thought those words over, she turned to the King.

"I didn't get the chance too. And while he may always have a place within my heart," Maristela answered his question, she knew why he asked due to the knowledge that when Elves fall in love, they typically never love another again. "I must take my leave," Maristela spoke before turning and walking towards the doors. "Marisol," Thranduil spoke stopping her, "Do not let this loss shut you down. Do not be afraid to let another in, pain is not all you will know." Maristela smiled softly at his words, she was thankful for them. "Till we meet again," Maristela spoke before leaving, Thranduil's eyes landing back on the gems in his hands.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

「 ✦ 𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐘 ✦ 」

Sorry, these last few chapters of this act are going to be shorter as I'm mostly writing original content but I don't want to drag it on so this chapter and the next two are short ones.

Thoughts? Theories? Predictions? Suggestions?

See you in the next chapter!