6.1 | Isengard

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

A small group of riders move through the forest: Èomer, Théoden, Gandalf, Maristela, Legolas, Aragorn, and Gimli. They look around warily, as the low sounds of lumbering trees are heard around them. The riders appear and approach the crumbled gates encircling Isengard. The Hobbits spot the riders, "Welcome, my Lords and Lady... to Isengard!" Aragorn grins as Maristela laughs at the two mischievous Hobbits. "You young rascals! A merry chase you've led us on, and now we find you feasting and... and smoking!" Gimli mockingly scolded the two Hobbits.

"We are sitting on the field of victory, enjoying a few well-earned comforts. The salted pork is particularly good," Pippin told Gimli though he was slightly inebriated and touched by the leaf. "Salted pork?" Gimli questioned with a smile. "Hobbits," Gandalf muttered impatiently yet unsurprised by their actions. "We're under orders from Treebeard, who's taken over management of Isengard," Merry informed them as he stood up with a grin. "Perhaps you could take us to him," Maristela said receiving a wink from Merry. "It'd be my pleasure, beautiful," Merry spoke with a grin that made Maristela giggle.

The group approaches Orthanc, the tower of Isengard where Treebeard stood keeping watch. "Young master Gandalf, I'm glad you've come. Wood and water, stock and stone I can master, but there's a Wizard to manage here, locked in his tower," Treebeard told Gandalf while Maristela grinned at the Ent's use of young. The group looks around, uncomfortable. "Show yourself," Aragorn called up to Saruman. "Be careful, even in defeat Saruman is dangerous," Gandalf forewarned the others. "Then let's just have his head and be done with it," Gimli spoke up with Maristela willing to again with him. "No, we need him alive. We need him to talk," Gandalf immediately denied. 

A voice calls out from above, and Saruman comes into view, standing on the top of the tower, "You have fought many wars and slain many men Théoden king, and made peace afterwards. Can we not take council together, as we once did, my old friend? Can we not have peace, you and I?" Maristela sneered at the Wizard who betrayed his oath to the Maiar. "We shall have peace," Théoden responds softly at first, but quickly becomes more assured, "We shall have peace... when you answer for the burning of the westfold, and the children that lie dead there. We shall have peace, when the lives of the soldiers, whose bodies were hewn even as they lay dead against the gates of the Hornburg, are avenged! When you hang from a gibbet for the sport of your own crows... we shall have peace."

Saruman grinned maliciously, "Gibbets and crows? Dotard! What do you want Gandalf Greyhame? Let me guess: the key of Orthanc, or perhaps the key of Barad-dûr itself, along with the crowns of the seven kings and the rods of the five wizards!" Maristela turned her head to her father as Saruman spoke, she saw the pain in her father's eyes as he looked up to the man he once admired and saw as his greatest friend. "Your treachery has already cost many lives. Thousands more are now at risk, but you could save them Saruman. You were deep in the enemy's council," Gandalf replied to Saruman.