6.8 | The Black Gate

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

A council convenes in the throne room at Minas Tirith consisting of Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Maristela and Èomer. "Frodo has passed beyond my sight," Gandalf informed Aragorn with Maristela nodding from where she stood with Legolas, "And mine." Aragorn looked from her to the throne, "If Sauron had the Ring we would know it." Gandalf sighed, "It's only a matter of time. He has suffered a defeat, yes, but behind the walls of Mordor our enemy is regrouping." Gimli sits on the steward's throne, puffing on a pipe, "Let him stay there. Let him rot! Why should we care?"

"Because ten thousand Orcs now stand between Frodo and Mount Doom," Gandalf replied to the Erebor Dwarf before turning his gaze towards a wall, "I've sent him to his death." Maristela looked down with a sigh as Legolas interlocked their hands to comfort her. "No. There's still hope for Frodo. He needs time and safe passage across the Plains of Gorgoroth," Aragorn spoke as he turned to Gandalf with a determined look in his eyes, "We can give him that." Maristela furrowed her brows before her mind clicked on his potential plan. "How?" Gimli asked him.

"Draw out Sauron's armies. Empty his lands. Then we gather our full strength and march on the Black Gate," Aragorn answered him. "We cannot achieve victory through strength of arms," Èomer advised Aragorn with concern. "Not for ourselves, but we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's Eye fixed upon us," Aragorn expressed before turning to look at everyone, "Keep him blind to all else that moves." Legolas processes his words before speaking, "A diversion." Maristela grinned already eager for another battle. "Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" Gimli asked them with eagerness.

"Sauron will suspect a trap. He will not take the bait," Gandalf advised. "Oh, I think he will," Aragorn replied to him before looking at Maristela, she bowed her head before kissing Legolas' cheek and following after her son. Maristela and Aragorn enters the citadel throne room and uncovers the Palantír. He flinches as the Eye blazes while Maristela ignores the pain within her head. He grasps the Palantír and holds it up, looking into it; Maristela reached to place her own palm on it too. "Long have you hunted me. Long have I eluded you. No more," Aragorn spoke out knowing that Sauron was listening as Maristela pulled her hand away.