4.6 | Mines of Moria

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

THE FELLOWSHIP WERE WALKING ALONG THE FAR SHORE OF THE DARK LAKE directly below great looming cliffs, the environment was familiar to Maristela who had visited the Mines of Moria once before. "The walls of Moria!" Gimli exclaimed in awe. Gandalf touches the smooth rock wall between the trees, slowly, faint lines appear like slender veins of luminous silver running through the stone. "Itidin... it mirrors only starlight and moonlight," Gandalf announced before glancing at his daughter who moved forward and pressed her hand against the stone wall.

Maristela turned her head to the sky, the moon rose over the mountains like a dog under command reflecting off of the stone causing lines to grow clear and bright forming a glowing arch of interlacing ancient letters and symbols that amazed the Hobbits. "It reads 'The door of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter'," Gandalf explained to the others. "What do you suppose it means?" Merry questioned the wizard. "It's quite simple. If you are a friend, speak the password and the doors will open," Gandalf answered him while Maristela smirked, she knew how to open the door but refused to comment as she enjoyed the entertainment.

Gandalf raised his arms before chanting, "Annon edhellen, edro hi ammen!" The cliff towers into the night, the wind blows cold as Frodo shivers before noticing that Maristela holds an amused smirk. "You know how to open the door?" Frodo asked Maristela softly. "Indeed, I do," Maristela whispered back with a wink, Legolas and Aragorn shared amused smiles. "Considering the urgency of the situation, shouldn't you just tell him?" Aragorn asked her. "Aragorn, you must always remember that life has fleeting moments where you can enjoy something to make memories with the ones you care for. The journey to Erebor was filled with them," Maristela expressed to her son.

"Even in the urgency?" Frodo asked with curious eyes. "Absolutely, Frodo. If you spend the entire quest worried and concerned only for the end of the journey, then you will lose sight of the beauty that lingers in the world awaiting your watchful eyes. Like this..." Maristela trailed off as she spotted a rare gem sitting under some stones. "A Twilight Stone," Aragorn breathed out once he had seen what Maristela picked up. "A very rare stone that Dwarves typically hold no care for... A mistake in my eyes as they are incredibly powerful and very much worth a pretty penny," Maristela explained to the Hobbits who all were listening as Gandalf attempted other chants.

"Pippin," Maristela turned to the young Hobbit, "Here. Trust in the gem and it will show you the one thing you need most." Pippin hesitantly took the small stone into his hand, admiring the mixture of purple and blue before tucking it into the inside pocket of his coat. "Thank you, Maristela," Pippin said softly. Maristela moved away from the small group, brushing her fingers across the wall as Attica walked towards her. "Head to Lothlorien. I believe we will end up in those woods very soon, friend," Maristela whispered to Attica in Elvish.

Attica purred as Maristela rested her head against his, "See you soon, Attica." The Wolfhound let out a low growl before he took off in the shadows to make his way to Lothlorien. "Will he be okay?" Sam asked, his eyes filled with worry. "Do not worry about Attica, Samwise. Attica has been alive for a long time," Maristela assured Sam as she motherly fixed his hair. A splash distracted Maristela, she turned her head to see Merry and Pippin tossing stones into the lake causing black rippling rings to slowly fan out over the dark lake. Pippin is about to throw another stone when Aragorn grabs his arm, "Do not disturb the water."