3.3 | The Arkenstone

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

WITHIN THE WALLS OF EREBOR, THE DWARVES WORK TO BLOCK up the entrance that Smaug had broken through to attack Laketown. They carry rocks both by hand and with the help of various pulleys and other machines while Bilbo and Maristela watch on in uncertainty and disbelief. "I want this fortress made safe by sunup. This mountain was hard won, I will not see it taken again," Thorin ordered his kin. "The people of Laketown have nothing. They came to us in need. They have lost everything!" Kíli exclaimed to his uncle.

"Do not tell me what they have lost. I know well enough their hardship. Those who have lived through dragonfire should rejoice. They have much to be grateful for," Thorin expressed to his nephew before looking out to the city of Dale, where many fires can be seen lit by the people. He turns and shouts to the Dwarves, "More stone! BRING MORE STONE TO THE GATE!" Bilbo looks on in despair while Maristela lowered her head, she knew not of how else to help Thorin overcome the sickness that seeps through his mind. She twisted the ring on her finger knowing that no matter what she was blessed with by the Valar, nothing could work.

Soon night came and a large stone wall blocked the entrance to Erebor and Maristela found Thorin looking at a pile of white gems, he slowly pulls a necklace from the pile and looks at them in mockery. "The white gems of Lasgalen," Thorin says as he holds them in his hands remembering the deal in the Woodland Realm. "I know an Elf-Lord who would pay a pretty price for these," Thorin added before tossing the necklace back into the pile of jewels, scattering many of the tiny gems. "A price he shouldn't pay upon the reasoning they are already of his ownership," Maristela spoke.

Thorin turned to her with a sneer, she held her head high knowing that the White Gems of Lasgalen were fashioned by Dwarves for the Queen of Mirkwood before she fell in Gundabad. "He holds no--" Thorin was cut off by the bright light that shone from Maristela, "He holds every right to what was made for the wife he had lost." The light faded, the action reminded Thorin of Gandalf, the very wizard who had not shown himself. "You are falling prey to the very sickness that took your grandfather, Thorin Oakenshield. And it will take you too," Maristela warned harshly before storming away not wanting to deal with the King.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

After Bard's attempt to reason with Thorin, Maristela had turned to the young Hobbit with a plan that he didn't seem to like. "I'll take it to them," Bilbo whispered to her. "No, Bilbo, he needs you here. Someone who needs to remind him of who he is and you can do that," Maristela replied to the Hobbit. "They'll notice that you are missing," Bilbo expressed in a last attempt to convince her to let him take the Arkenstone to Bard. "No, they won't. They are too busy following Thorin's commands. He believes he is being betrayed by he trusts you, so let me do this," Maristela reassured.

Bilbo was still hesitant but ultimately, he complied knowing it may be better for her to do this allowing him to, as she had said, be there for Thorin. Maristela ruffled Bilbo's hair before stashing the Arkenstone into the hidden pocket of her coat, Bilbo assisted her in the dark to sneak out of Erebor. Maristela stops and looks back at Bilbo who seemed to be having a mini debate before moving to climb down after her, she shook her head and allowed him to accompany her this time; both planned to return to Erebor no matter what may happen.