4.2 | The Meeting

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

MARISTELA STOOD HIDDEN BY A PILLAR WITH HER EYES SETTLED ON the council within the balcony chamber, Lord Elrond sat ahead of them and she took in the familiar faces; Boromir of Gondor, Gimili of Erebor, Legolas of Mirkwood, Frodo of Bag End, and finally, the familiar face of Strider. She wasn't sure how this meeting would go but knew better than to just reveal herself to the council immediately, she would either stay in the shadows or she would speak out when her voice was needed.

"Strangers from distant lands... friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle Earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite... or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate... this one doom..." Lord Elrond spoke out to the council mixed of Dwarves, Elves, and Men. "Bring forth the Ring, Frodo," Lord Elrond instructed the nephew of Bilbo Baggins, Maristela perked up slightly at the young Hobbit, her eyes landing directly on his shoulder where the aura of Morgul poisoning once threatened his natural life; her own thigh twitching.

Frodo steps forward and moves towards the stone Plinth in the middle of the council, he places the ring on the plinth before returning to his seat. Everyone looked down at the One Ring in shock or awe, Maristela's own Ring burning in the presence of something so dark and loud. She rolled her shoulders as she tried to push away the thoughts within her mind, the taunting of the Ring of Power was echoing within her presence in hopes to taint the light that surrounds her. Her eyes lifted from the shadow of her hiding place and connected with the one person who noticed her, Strider simply bowed his head slightly.

"So it is true!" Boromir, son of Denethor spoke in a stunned voice. "Sauron's Ring! The Ring of Power!" The familiar voice of Legolas turned Maristela's eyes from Boromir to the Woodland Prince whom she hadn't seen since the ambush of Ravenhill. "The doom of man!" Gimli, the son of Gloin had exclaimed grimly. It was nice seeing the Dwarves of Erebor, she had spoken with Bofur recently upon crossing paths on his travels to the Blue Mountains while Maristela had been leaving the Misty Mountains and she hoped to speak with Gloin before his departure, she knew King Dáin was awaiting her next visit.

"It is a gift!" Boromir spoke through the awestruck silence, "A gift to the foes of Mordor! Why not use this ring? Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, held the forces of Mordor at bay... by the blood of our people and the power of Starlight are your lands kept safe. Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy... let us use it against him!" Maristela sighed at the desires of Man, only a few moments in the presence of the One Ring and already, he demanded it's power for himself. She knew why he had mentioned power of Starlight, it was a bragging right to Man to be assisted by her ─ someone now known as a Deity to Men... unwillingly titled.

"You cannot wield it. None of us can. The One Ring answers to Sauron alone... it has no other master," Strider spoke as he stood from his chair, his words are stern and cautious but accurate in their meaning. Boromir turns and looks at Strider, coolly, "And what would a Ranger know of this matter?" Maristela's jaw clenched at Boromir's words, if Strider was some mere Ranger, he wouldn't be sitting among a council as important as this one. However, Strider says nothing and Boromir turns away dismissively.