3.9 | Farewell Bilbo

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

WISHING BEORN ALL THE BEST, THE TRIO CONTINUED ON THEIR way with Bilbo back to the Shire. Days turned into weeks as they travelled over rocky paths, green fields, and busy towns rather than the path they had taken on their way to the Lonely Mountain. Soon enough, they reached the path into Rivendell, Bilbo wished to visit the Valley of Imraldis and Maristela was happy to do so. They were treated to food and condolences before they spent the night in a bed, rising early in the morning to continue their journey to the Shire.

Within a few days and a quick stop to pick up the treasure chest the Dwarves had buried within the Troll cave, the trio had reached the Shire where Gandalf and Maristela stopped by the edge. "Ah, the borders of the Shire. It is here I must leave you," Gandalf told Bilbo. "That's a shame. I quite liked having a wizard around. Seems they bring good luck," Bilbo expressed to Gandalf as he dismounted the pony and adjusted his things in his hold. "You don't really suppose, do you, that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck?" Gandalf asked Bilbo with a raised brow.

"Magic rings should not be used lightly, Bilbo," Gandalf warned Bilbo, he begins to protest but Gandalf interrupts him, "Don't take me for a fool ─ I know you found one in the Goblin tunnels...and I've kept my eye on you ever since." Maristela nods in agreement to show Bilbo that she too had been watching him. Now that the secret is out, Bilbo smiles, "Well, thank goodness. Farewell, Gandalf." They clasp hands and look each other in the eye. "Farewell," Gandalf replied. Bilbo turns to Maristela who dismounts Attica to approach him.

"I guess this is goodbye," Bilbo said to Maristela who smiled fondly at the Hobbit. "It seems to be, Bilbo Baggins," Maristela expressed to him as she knelt down to his height.  "Thank you, Maristela and Gandalf. Though the journey's end wasn't the best, you were right. The world wasn't in my books and maps, it was out there," Bilbo expressed to the Wizard and his daughter.

"I always had faith in you, Bilbo," Maristela told him. "And due to that faith, I never gave up," Bilbo replied to her before they shared a hug, both sad to say goodbye. Bilbo pulled back and looked up at the two, "Feel free to visit anytime you're in Bag End. And don't worry about knocking." Maristela grinned at that as she stood up leaning against Attica as Bilbo bowed his head before turning to walk away. After a few paces, he stops and turns, "You, uh... you needn't worry about that ring. It fell out of my pocket during the battle. I lost it."

"You're a very fine person, Mister Baggins. And I'm very fond of you. But you're only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all," Gandalf commented before Bilbo turns and continues walking back to the Shire, Gandalf smiled as Maristela climbed onto Attica's back. "Am I right to guess that you are returning to Rivendell?" Gandalf asked his daughter as they left the edges of the Hobbiton. "Yes, I am. I think some rest is in need," Maristela replied before thinking carefully, "I think I may return to Gondor or Rohan at Winters end." Gandalf nodded before they fell silent, the sun shining on them.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

As Bilbo climbs over the last hill before Hobbiton, he sees a lot of activity near Bag End, across the valley. As he walks up the path towards his house, he sees many Hobbits passing in the opposite direction as him carrying various articles of furniture and other household articles. "Wait a minute... that's my mother's glory box. And that's... my dining chair," Bilbo exclaimed as he sees a Hobbit carrying a familiar ottoman on his shoulder.

"Ah! Put that pouf down! What is going on?" Bilbo questioned as a Hobbit with a wheelbarrow full of things stops to greet him cheerfully. "Hello, Mister Bilbo!" The Hobbit greets before realising who he had greeted, "...You're not supposed to be here." Bilbo looked at him in confusion, "What do you mean?" The Hobbit perked up at that, "On account of you being presumed dead and all." Bilbo's eyes widened upon those words, "I am not dead! Presumed or otherwise!" Bilbo turns and hurries up the hill toward Bag End, passing more Hobbits carrying his things.

In front of Bag End, an auctioneer is auctioning off Bilbo's things. A sign reads: "For sale, by auction, The effects and estate of the late Mr. Bilbo Baggins, esq. 10 o'clock sharp, June the 22nd. Messrs Grubb, Grubb and Burrowes. Registered Auctioneers." And he sighed in irritation at it, the auctioneer continues on as Bilbo rushes up and interrupts him, "Stop! Stop! There's been a mistake!" A Female Hobbit turns to him, "Who are you?" Bilbo sneers at her, "What do you mean who am I? You know bloody well who I am, Lobelia Sackville-Baggins! This is my home! And those are my spoons. Thank you very much!"

Bilbo takes back some spoons that Lobelia had just bought at the auction while the auctioneer spoke, "This is most irregular. Excuse me, it's been more than thirteen months since the disappearance. If you are, in fact, Bilbo Baggins and undeceased ─ Can you prove it?" Bilbo looked up at the man, "What?!" But the auctioneer was stern, "Oh, well, something official with your name on it would suffice." Bilbo is, justifiably, quite flustered as he pulls out the contract that he had signed to join Thorin's Company and looks through it. "A contract... of employment as a... a... nevermind as what," Bilbo exclaims as he shows it to the auctioneer.

"There! My signature," Bilbo pointed out to the Hobbit. "Uh, certainly seems to be in order. Yes, seems there can be no doubt," The auctioneer spoke out. As the auctioneer is reading, Bilbo mounts the steps to his house until the auctioneer spoke up, "Who is this person you pledged your service to?" Bilbo pauses at the door as the auctioneer read out the name, "Thorin Oakenshield." Bilbo looks sad as he turns his head, "He─He was my friend." The others are unsure what to say but opt to stay silent as Bilbo turns back to his door.

Opening the door, Bilbo walks in to find his house a mess, with items strewn all across the floor. As he walks about, he finds a handkerchief with his initials, BB, on it; He looks up and smiles before pulling free the one that Maristela had given him that first day. Finding a picture of his mother on the floor, he puts it back up on the wall next to the picture of his father; he straightens it out. He steps back and looks at it fondly. As he inspects his handiwork, he puts his hand in his waistcoat pocket, but then pulls them out quickly when he feels his ring. He hesitates to put his hand back in his pocket, going back and forth. Eventually, he pulls it out and looks at it, uncertainty in his eyes.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

「 ✦ 𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐘 ✦ 」

Ohhhhhhh.... he has the ring?!
I mean, obviously...

Thoughts? Theories? Predictions? Suggestions?

See you in the next chapter!