4.3 | The Fellowship

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

MARISTELA LEANED AGAINST THE WALL WITHIN FRODO'S ROOM watching Frodo and Bilbo as the eldest of the two prepared his nephew for the journey coming his way. Bilbo held out his own sword, sliding it out of a shabby leather scabbard to reveal a polished blade that was clearly well looked after. "My old sword Sting... here, take it!" Bilbo encouraged Frodo who takes the sword, marvelling at the sight of the weapon. "It's so light," Frodo exclaimed to his uncle. "Yes, yes, made by Elves, you know," Bilbo said with a motion towards Maristela who rolled her eyes with a smile.

"The blade glows blue when Orcs are close... and it's times like that, my lad, when you have to be extra careful," Bilbo expressed to Frodo who nodded his head before sheathing the sword and placing it down on the bed as Bilbo unwraps a familiar piece of armor causing Maristela to smile softly. "Here's a pretty thing. Mithril, as light as a feather, and as hard as dragon scales," Bilbo explained to Frodo who took the Mithril shirt. "Let me see you put it on. Come on," Bilbo encouraged. Frodo reached up to unbutton his shirt when Bilbo caught sight of the One Ring hanging from the chain that Maristela had given Frodo to make carrying the ring easier.

"Oh! My old Ring..." Bilbo exclaims softly in an entranced way, Maristela perked up at the look in Bilbo's eyes. Frodo frowned as he glanced from Maristela to Bilbo who had moved closer to him. "I should very much like to hold it again... one last time," Bilbo expressed as he reached forward with his eyes locked on the Ring. Suddenly, a shadow passed across Bilbo, for a split second he becomes a wrinkled creature with a hungry face and bony, groping hands. Frodo was pulled back by Maristela who seemed to blind Bilbo for moment as the shadow passed to reveal the former adventurer's true tired age.

Bilbo falters, his eyes glistening with tears as he steps away from the two, Maristela moving aside once Frodo had covered the Ring with his shirt again. "Oh... I'm sorry, that I brought this upon you, my boy... I'm sorry that you must carry this burden. I'm sorry for everything," Bilbo whimpered out. Frodo moved forward to comfort Bilbo while Maristela lowered her eyes with sorrow knowing that Bilbo held a lot of guilt on his shoulders but her view was different, in the hands of the Fellowship, that Ring would be destroyed compared to the knowledge that Gollum would have been killed and Sauron would rise to power again.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

Maristela stood under the moonlight, it was the night before they would leave Rivendell to begin their journey to Mordor. "You seem troubled," Aragorn spoke as he stepped up next to her with concern clear in his eyes. "I'm worried about the quest," Maristela replied to him, she turned her head to look at Aragorn, "Something in the stars tonight tells me that a change is coming and it will have terrible consequences." Aragorn rested his hand on Maristela's shoulder, "When have you ever listened to the stars, Ma. You always said that we paved our own way and made our own destiny's."