6.3 | The Beacons

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

At Edoras, Aragorn sees the last beacon lit and runs into the Golden Hall. "The Beacons of Minas Tirith! The Beacons are lit! Gondor calls for aid!" Aragorn exclaims catching Maristela's attention, she turns her gaze to Théoden for his response. Théoden, in council with his men, pauses and takes stock of this news before responding, "And Rohan will answer." He turns to one of his guards, "Muster the Rohirrim!" Maristela smiled with pride at Théoden's words, she knew he would prove himself in the end. Aragorn holds his hand out for Maristela and she takes it before they watch Théoden walk out.

A soldier rings an alarm bell. Théoden exits Meduseld, speaking with Éomer, "Assemble the army at Dunharrow, as many men as can be found. You have two days." Éomer nods and turns. Théoden grabs his shoulder, "On the third, we ride for Gondor. And war." Éomer nods and leaves as Théoden turns to Gamling, "Gamling... Make haste across the Riddermark. Summon every able-bodied man to Dunharrow." Gamling nods and departs. Théoden watches the Riders flow from Edoras as Maristela steps up next to him. "May the Valar guide us," Maristela breathed out as Théoden turned to her, "With the Lady of Starlight with us, I believe we'll be fine."

Aragorn and Éowyn exit the stables before the former speaks, "You ride with us?" Èowyn glanced at him as she spoke, "Just to the encampment. It's tradition for the women of the court to farewell the men." Aragorn uncovers a sword, hidden in Èowyn's saddle. She covers it with a blanket, "The men have found their captain, they will follow you into battle, even to death. You have given us hope." Maristela stood by listening to them, she shared a look with Aragorn before nodding her head accepting Èowyn's decision before she walked away.

Merry, holding his sword, approaches Théoden, "Excuse me. I have a sword. Please accept it." Merry kneels, "I offer you my service, Théoden King." Théoden helps Merry to his feet, "And gladly I accept it. You shall be Meriadoc, esquire of Rohan." Merry grins and runs off. Maristela shakes her head fondly as Merry rushes past her, he sends her a wink before disappearing in the crowd. Maristela headed towards Legolas and Gimli as they prepared to depart. "Horsemen, hmph! I wish I could muster a legion of Dwarves, fully armed and filthy," Gimli expressed with a huff. 

"Your kinsmen may have no need to ride to war. I fear war already marches on their own lands," Legolas replied to Gimli as Maristela rested her hand on Gimli's shoulder. "Legolas is right, Gimli. They will be facing their own troubles, we must focus on our part," Maristela assured him before she moved towards her horse, Delta and mounted the brown bay horse. "As my father had said, the next path is set and we can only follow it," Maristela added before assisting Merry with his stubborn pony, guiding the creature easing Merry's frustrations. "Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To Lord and Land!" Èomer calls out before the Rohirrim ride to Dunharrow as a song echoes in Maristela's mind.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰