2.1 | Beorn, Old Friend

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

IT HAD BEEN THREE MONTHS SINCE MARISTELA joined the Company of Thorin Oakenshield. She had bonds with each member of the Company and they had been preparing for whatever they may face once they reached Erebor. Maristela had become very close with Fíli, the two often sparring together or simply admiring the stars by each others side. Maristela wouldn't call it love, it was too soon on her behalf but she certainly adore the young Dwarf Prince who never strayed too far from her side. Thorin and Kíli knew that Fíli was falling in love with the Elleth and both were very happy for him knowing she was worthy.

At this current moment, it's night time and Bilbo is peeking over some rocks on a high ledge watching as Azog upon a brown Warg and his Warg Scouts run along a ridgeline not too far away from where he was perched. Suddenly, Bilbo hears a snarl from the side and ducks behind the rocks, he peeks out and sees a large bear watching Azog from another pile of rocks, snarling softly. Bilbo sneaks away and makes his way down the rocks to where the Dwarves, Maristela, and Gandalf were waiting to hear Bilbo's spy report. He took immediate notice of Maristela giving Kíli some more tips on tricks regarding his bow and arrows despite her speciality being a sword.

"How close is the pack?" Dwalin asked the moment Bilbo stepped into their view, the Company's attention turning to the large Dwarf and small Hobbit. "Too close. A couplr of leagues, no more, but that is not the worst of it," Bilbo replied to him instantly as Fíli stood beside Maristela. "Have the Wargs picked up our scent?" Dwalin questioned further. "Not yet, but they will; we have another problem," Bilbo responded causing the Company to tense up in concern. "Did they see you? They saw you!" Gandalf questioned him with wide eyes. "No, that's not it," Bilbo told him with a shake of his head.

Gandalf smiled and turned to the Dwarves, "What did I tell you? Quiet as a mouse. Excellent burglar material." Maristela smiled softly as Bilbo who looked exasperated over the fact that no one was listening to him. "Will you listen─Will you just listen? I'm trying to tell you there is something else out there!" Bilbo exclaimed gaining the Company's attention, the Dwarves appeared worried while Gandalf and Maristela shared a glance. "What form did it take? Like a bear?" Gandalf asked Bilbo. "Ye--" Bilbo paused and looks curiously at Gandalf, "Y─yes. But bigger, much bigger."

"You knew about this beast?" Bofur asked Gandalf while Maristela readjusted her pouch on her belt. "I say we double back," Bofur voiced recieving no response from Gandalf. "And ne run down by a pack of Orcs," Thorin pointed out to Bofur. "There is a house, it's not far from here, where we might take refuge," Gandalf suggested with his eyes on Maristela who sublty nodded her head. "Whose house? Are they friend or foe?" Thorin questioned the Grey Wizard. "Niether. He will help us, or he will kill us," Gandalf responded while Maristela smiled wide. "Well, he won't harm me," Maristela spoke up.

"What choice do we have?" Thorin asked after acknowledging Maristela's words, perhaps the home owner will allow them shelter due to her presence. A roar splits through the sky behind them, Maristela turned her head to the sound and knew it was the bear. "None," Gandalf tells them before the Company is running to escape both the beast and the Wargs. As the Company runs through a forest, Azog and his Orcs are racing through the forest too. Azog urges his party on but both groups stop suddenly when an ear-splitting roar sounds nearby. As the Dwarves panic and run, Bombur looks on in shock until he is pulled along.