2.5 | Escaping Mirkwood

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

MARISTELA AND THE DWARVES WERE IN BARRELS BENEATH THE CELLAR awaiting for Bilbo to join them so they wouldn't leave him behind. Bilbo falls into the water, he surfaces and grabs onto Nori's barrel receiving cheers from the Dwarves. "Well done, Master Baggins," Thorin appraised the Hobbit who half waves in thanks and manages to sputter out go to the Company, they immediately allowed the barrels to move with the current of the river. "Come on, let's go!" Thorin called to the others, Maristela frowned knowing she had lost her mother's dagger and the Sword of Raelia.

The Dwarves paddle with their hands as the river pulls them along, Fíli and Kíli kept Maristela's barrel close to them knowing that the King would not be keen to let her go. Woodland Elves rush along the passages in the Woodland Realm after being alerted of the prisoner's escapes. The Company emerge into the sunlight and Thorin spots a waterfall ahead of them, "Hold on!" The Dwarves, Bilbo, Maristela, and the barrels plunge through the rapids, then float swiftly down the raging river. Legolas, followed by other Elves, emerged from a gatewat and sees them floating away.

"Holo in-annon! (Shut the gate!)" Legolas orders catching Maristela's attention, she turns her head to the Elf Prince and sighs. An Elf with him blows on a horn; as the Company in the river, they see a guardpost built above the river. The heavily armored Elves standing guard there hear the horn and come to attention; one of them pulls a lever, causing the heavy metal sluice gate to block the river. The Company in their barrels comes to a stop at the gate, unable to float further. "No!" Thorin smacked his hands against the gate while Maristela looked up at the ledge above the heavy gate.

The barrels pile into each other; the Elven guards draw their swords, but one is suddenly shot in the back with a black arrow. Several growling orcs swarm over the guardpost killing the Elves. Multitudes of Orcs run in from the bushes with Bolg, the son of Azog, leading the small army. "Watch out! Those are Orcs!" Bofur called out to the Elves and Company. "Gorid! Zib! Goridug! (Slay them all!)" Bolg ordered and the Orcs began throwing themselves at the Dwarves in the barrels; Bilbo manages to kill one with Sting, and Dwalin elbows another in the face.

Maristela notices Kíli's eyes on the lever, she knew what he planned to do but it would put him out in the open; so pushing from her barrel, she pushes on his shoulder and rushes over the barrels. "MARI!" The brothers shouted gaining the Company's attention. "Capture the Elleth!" Bolg ordered in Orcish, his sneer focused on Maristela as she used a large branch to knock an Orc into the ground, she twirled around blocking an arrow with the branch. "Mari!" Dwalin called as an Orc snuck up behind her, she swung around with the branch and sent the Orc towards the large Orc who had stolen a sword and drove it into the Orcs head.

Dwalin pulled the sword free and threw it to Maristela, she immediately caught the blade and blocked the swing of an Orc before parrying him back until she managed to knock his sword free and drive her own blade through his head. She grabbed the spare weapon and threw it to Bofur who used it to kill an Orc that got too close to Bilbo who had been distracted with another Orc. Legolas, as he overpowers the Orc he was fighting, spots Maristela fighting her way towards the lever; a part of him wanted to let her and the others escape while the others part of him didn't wish to disappoint his father.