4.4 | The Journey Begins

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

"WE MUST HOLD TO THIS COURSE WEST OF THE MISTY MOUNTAINS for forty days. If our luck holds, the Gap of Rohan will still be open to us. From there, our road turns East to Mordor," Gandalf informed the Fellowship as they followed the path. It wasn't long until they had reached the Eregion Hills where they had settled down a camp for the night. Sam sat by the campfire with Attica by his side, the Wolfhound had taken a liking towards the pure heart of Samwise Gamgee which gave Maristela a sense of joy knowing that Frodo would be in safe hands no matter what.

Aragorn and Boromir were working with Pippin and Merry teaching them how to defend themselves with the swords they had been given. Maristela sat up on a ledge watching them with a smile with Gimli by her side rambling on about the changes in Erebor and how well King Dáin had been handling everything. Legolas stood a short distance away, he was watching the distance while sparing glances towards Maristela whom he had yet to talk too since seeing her again. And Gandalf was stood near Frodo, the two watching the others as they trained.

"Get away from the blade, Pippin... on your toes... good, very good... I want you to react, not think," Boromir encouraged as he clashed his blade with Pippin's. "Should not be too hard..." Sam spoke up from where he was making food, momentarily reached to stratch behind Attica's ear who happily accepted the action. "Move your feet," Boromir told Pippin. "Quite good, Pippin," Merry complimented, Maristela smiled fondly at them as Gimli moved to speak with Gandalf leaving Maristela to herself. Legolas moved to stand on the ledge by Maristela, his attention moving from the environment to the sparring below.

"If anyone were to ask for my opinion, which I note they have not, I would say we are taking the long way round," Gimli spoke up gaining Maristela's attention, "Gandalf, we can pass through the Mines of Moria. My cousin, Balin, would give us a royal welcome." Maristela smiled fondly as she thought of Balin who had taken Moria back in TA 2989 but within the first few years, King Dáin had lost contact with Balin and the knowledge of that sent concern through Maristela especially knowing about the ancient beast that lurked deep within those halls, something that Maristela feared greatly.

"No, Gimli. I would not take the road through Moria unless I had no other choice," Gandalf replied to the Dwarf before sharing a look with Maristela who bowed her head in agreement with him. No matter how great it would be to see Balin, Ori, and the Dwarves fo Moria, she wouldn't risk it during this quest. "Mari, surely you would agree with me?" Gimli asked as he turned to her. "Though it would be rather nice to see how Balin and Ori are, I too would not risk the Mines of Moria for Dwarven greed has its curses," Maristela answered him causing his to scoff but no argue further knowing she was right; plus he wouldn't argue against her choice anyway.

Boromir thrusts his blade forward catching Pippin on the hand, he pulled back with a small hiss before Pippin threw his sword down, kicks and lunges at Boromir, tackling him to ground. Maristela laughs as Merry joins the two, playfully tackling against Boromir who was laughing himself as he playfully wrestled against the two Hobbits. However, Legolas' eyes were fixed on a distant dark patch which darts about the sky, like flying smoke on the wind. Maristela notices Attica's growls and follows Legolas' gaze to see it, her mind immediately noticing its pattern and direction. "What is that?" Sam questions spotting it too.

"Nothing... it's just a wisp of a cloud," Gimli spoke, Maristela shook her head as she stood up. "It's moving fast... against the wind," Boromir stated worriedly once he and the two Hobbits had stood up. "Crebain from Dunland!" Legolas warned. "Hide!" Aragorn instructed as Sam dumped water on the fire, Attica moved to help him hide as Boromir lead Pippin and Merry into a hiding space. Gimli, Gandalf, Aragorn, and Frodo hid quickly under small cover while Maristela reached for Legolas' hand and the two moved to hide in the remaining space by them, Legolas pulling Maristela closer to keep her hidden.

The large crows fly overhead at great speed, wheeling and circling above. As their dark shadow passes over the fellowship, a single harsh croak is heard before the crows suddenly wheel away, back towards the south. Maristela lets out a breath before letting her head fall back onto Legolas' shoulder, the Woodland Prince stayed still as Maristela caught her breath and steadied her adrenaline. "That was close," Maristela whispered to Legolas. "We are certainly being watched," Legolas replied to her before they moved out of the cover.

"Spies of Saruman. The passage South is being watched," Gandalf spoke after he staggered to his feet, he turned to his daughter and was relieved to see she was okay. "We must take the pass of Caradhras!" Gandalf told the fellowship without noticing Maristela's frown. She had a bad feeling about that pass especially knowing that Saruman's watching their movements. "Are you okay?" Aragorn asked Maristela as everyone prepared for their travel to the pass of Caradhras. "I don't have a good feeling about Caradhras," Maristela revealed to Aragorn who noticed the worry.

"We don't have much choice otherwise," Aragorn told her though he wished he could ease her worries. "I know... just... be careful," Maristela said as she placed her hand on the side of his face, "I don't want anything happening to you or the others." Aragorn smiled softly at the motherly concern in her eyes and actions. "We are going to be okay, Ma. Don't worry too much about what could happen and focus on now, isn't that what you always told me," Aragorn encouraged making Maristela laugh before she brushed his hair out of his face. "What would I do without you?" Maristela asked him before stepping back and grabbing her bag, "Let's do this."

Aragorn watched as Maristela walked up to Boromir, Pippin and Merry, immediately engaging in a conversation with them. "Is everything okay?" Legolas asked Aragorn as he walked up beside him, he had watched the encounter between Aragorn and Maristela and tried to fight off the wrong idea. "Marisol has always been a worrier for others, very maternal in her ways so I was assuring her that it was going to be okay like she would when I was younger," Aragorn answered Legolas, the two moved to follow the others to leave the Eregion Hills. "She was in your life when you were younger?" Legolas asked eager to learn more.

"Maristela took me in and raised me between her travels. She would always tell me about her quests and battles," Aragorn told Legolas before he grinned, "Maristela's always been a mother figure to me and I could not see my life without her in it. She's an amazing soul who deserves more than she has gotten." Legolas took in Aragorn's words, he felt eased knowing that Aragorn and Maristela were strictly family though he should have expected as much knowing that Aragorn loved Lord Elrond's daughter, Arwen. Legolas knew what Maristela had been through and with this journey things would only be worse but he would do his best to keep her safe.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

「 ✦ ROSEMARY ✦ 」

Sorry for the semi-short chapter but considering majority of this movie was the travel from hobbiton to rivendell so I'm trying to drag it out a little bit for my own layout aesthetic lol

Thoughts on this chapter?
Theories? Suggestions? Predictions?
Things you wish to see?

See you in the next chapter!